My computer keeps restarting when I try to play games

By hornjo
May 30, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. My computer keeps restarting everytime i try to play a game.
    A few months ago i upgrade my 14.5inch monitor to a 21.5inch
    Then while i was playing battlefield 2, sometimes my monitor will flicker black for a bit
    It grew worse over time being more constantly and long. A few weeks later my computer doesn't flicker anymore... It restarts my computer.
    So sometimes when i try to play battlefield 2 as soon as the game loads into the game or just loading in main menu, my computer will restart. Then i tried playing starcraft 2, dragon age 2 and my other games, they didn't have a problem at all.
    Although a few months later almost every game i try to play my computer restarts even free to play games which doesn't require much graphics.

Heres what i tried to do:
    Got a new power supply
    reformat my computer and reinstall windows
    i unticked the box for auto restart so instead of restarting my computer a blue screen will tell me the error (Even unticked my computer still restarts)
    Ran memtest
    checked coretemp didn't seem any problems

i was thinking if i need to get a new graphic card?
    my motherboard is p5kpl-am
    my graphic card is ATI radeon HD 4800 series
    processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8400 @2.66ghz (4 CPUs)
  2. Mark56

Mark56 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,271

A quick test you can do is to remove the graphics card from the motherboard and then connect the monitor to the onboard graphics output. If this runs OK without any restarts you can be fairly confident your graphics card is faulty.

To prove this further, put your graphics card in another PC and see if it causes the same problem.

Attaching a few memory dumps would help us to give an analysis.
  3. hornjo

hornjo Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

4. hornjo

hornjo Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

those are from my event thingy, not sure if it helps though
  5. Mark56

Mark56 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,271

No, those screen shots dont help, but memory dumps would. Have you tried what I suggested.

Follow this intrsuction to post your memory dumps then we might get somewhere.

6. skipper86

skipper86 Newcomer, in training Posts: 19

Close all the unwanted program before launching the game... as game requires high memory to run smoothly..

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.