My computer keeps restarting

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I turn on my desktop (some sort of xpc shuttle), it goes to a black screen where you can choose safe mode or windows or last known operational mode (something like that). Which ever mode I choose, the same thing happens. The computer acts like it's starting up (never gets to the Windows screen) and then says monitor is going to sleep, and then it goes back to the black screen where you choose a start mode. It just keeps restarting over and over until I hold the on button for about 10 seconds and it turns off. Any idea what is wrong and how to fix it?

You probably need to boot from your windows installation cd and get it to recover!!!!

Boot into safemode. hit the start button -> run -> type "msconfig" -> Diagnostic startup -> ok -> reboot. If it still goes into safe mode, hit the start button -> run -> type "msconfig" -> services, hide all microsoft services. Uncheck those services that remain, reboot again. If it still goes into safemode you have a driver problem, most likely related to the graphics card. Right click my computer -> properties -> hardware -> device manager -> display adaptors -> right click <your graphics card> -> properties -> driver -> roll back driver. Reboot and try again. If you couldn't roll back the driver, because you've never updated it then finding and installing an updated driver from the net may be the solution. The existing driver may have become corrupted.

Your monitor may also be set to too high a frequency or using the wrong driver. To fix this go to my computer -> properties -> hardware -> device manager -> monitor, open and delete the monitor. Reboot. This is not likely though.

Good luck.

Caraval, it never even makes it to the start up menu. Any new suggestions? This computer was built for me and i'm afraid I'm just going to have to buy all new parts. It;s less than a year old and I've already had a hard drive go out, a graphics card, and I'm afraid it is the graphics card again. Thanks for the suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back