My computer restarts at the loading screen 1-2 times before starting will this damage

By sspeedy43
Apr 21, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. im new but i work with computers a lot and i just cant get over this problem in my computer i start up everything goes normal then at the windows xp loading screen i get a flash of a stop screen then instintly restarts and it does that 1-2 times before it works. i recently got more ram (pc100) the error is:STOP0x0000008e Please help!!!

My computer works (obviosly) but i am afriad it will get damaged
    I have a old computer is that maybe why
    thank you in advance
  2. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,043   +84 Staff Member

Take a look at the following directory for .dmp files, C:\Windows\Minidump. Zip them up and attach them to your next post.

Have you tried removing the new RAM to see if your issues clear up and/or testing it with Memtest86 for a minimum of 7 passes?
  3. sspeedy43

sspeedy43 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 37

ill try do i just download it from them and i willl only have 64mg bytes of ram if i remove the other is that okay like enough for the test
  4. sspeedy43

heres the minidumps and i dont know how to start memtest
  5. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,043   +84 Staff Member

The process "win32k.sys" and "memory_corruption" are most frequently cited within those dumps as being the cause of the error. Given those results, I would definitely test your RAM with Memtest86.
  6. sspeedy43

how do i test it sorry i dont know
  7. sspeedy43

oh and if this helps i recently got new ram (well old from other computer but just added it to mine) and when it was set to 3 cycle timing for sdram it would work and say i had 128 mg of ram and it restarted then said windows has recoverd from a sieroas error then immediatly said win32 bl bla has to restart and i couldent even do anything then i set it to 2 and works and only says i have 112 mem wierd huh but now it works
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.