My computer runs like crap after processor upgrade!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to say, building my own PC has not been worth the disappointment and frustration that I constantly experienced. I have performed upgrade after upgrade, and my PC still can not give me decent performance. I upgraded the video card, and bumped the memory to 3 gigs, but it still ran like a dog.

So I figured the only thing left had to be the processor. It was running a Pentium D 2.66 mhz. I purchased a Wolfdale 2.66 Dual Core, and installed it. The BIOS recognized the new processor, but to my dismay, Windows XP took even longer to boot up.

I sat down and timed the boot up, and it takes a ridiculous 5 minutes before I can start using the PC. Even worse, I can rarely have more than 2 applications open at the same time. If I am burning a CD, Excel will freeze or white screen on me. Sometimes I enter stuff in IE and it takes 2 seconds later for the text to show up. Yahoo messanger is the worst. I get freeze ups like every 10 minutes.

I also notice if I'm running too many things, I will often get a BSOD and the computer reboots immediately.

Any suggestions why this thing runs so horrible? Dual core processor, decent video card, 3 gigs of RAM, and I still can't freaking play Civ 4 without framerate probs!!

Additional note: I recently reformatted the hard drive, and it is running Norton, AVG virus and Dameon tools on startup.

I also notice if I'm running too many things, I will often get a BSOD and the computer reboots immediately.
That is a major problem.
Does it work properly with the old processor?
What is your motherboard?

As a side note, processors don't help boot times, not unless your running a very slow processor.

Well the computer recognizes the new processor. The motherboard specs support it as well. The motherboard is an intel DP965LT.

The processor I bought is:

Intel Pentium E5300 Wolfdale 2.6GHz 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor

Could it be bad memory that is causing the probs??

Use the Norton removal tool to un-install Norton, it hogs system resources. I'd replace it and AVG with Nod32 Antvirus or Smart Security.

What power supply does your system have?
What hard drive, how old is it, how does it connect?
Have you tried running memtest on your system overnight?

On a side note, you wouldn't be the first one I've seen with an Intel desktop board that runs abnormally slow. Try a BIOS update, it may help.

Use the Norton removal tool to un-install Norton, it hogs system resources. I'd replace it and AVG with Nod32 Antvirus or Smart Security.

What power supply does your system have?
What hard drive, how old is it, how does it connect?
Have you tried running memtest on your system overnight?

On a side note, you wouldn't be the first one I've seen with an Intel desktop board that runs abnormally slow. Try a BIOS update, it may help.

Thanks guys. I've never done a BIOS update before. Very nervous about it. Is there any safeguards I can take from hosing the entire system? I have the file and it looks like installs through Windows.

My PSU is: COOLER MASTER eXtreme RP-500-PCAR 500W ATX12V V2.01 Power Supply

HD is a 320 gig Western Digital sata drive.

The best safeguard is to NOT use a floppy.

Other than that, not much else you can do, make sure there are no lightning storms nearby. If this was a Gigabyte board, you'd be covered as they have 2 BIOS chips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back