TechSpot

my computer shut down and won't turn on

By hazeleye
May 25, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yesterday i was burning a dvd and my computer shut down. it was making
    a loud humming noise like a fan spining very fast. the light turns on when i plug in the cable for the internet and when i press the reset button after
    unplugging and plugging in the computer the cpu fan jerks once then i have to unplug and replug it in again to achieve the same result. I've removed
    everything but the hard drives and the dvd drives, bought a new power supply 500w. With the new power supply the computer does nothing.
    help!!
    specks
    Wintergreen computer
    pm800 m-2 mobo
    p4 3.0ghz/800fsb
    450watt psu
    dvd-rom
    dvd-r/rw+r/rw
    nvidia 256mb video card
    ati tvpro card
    emuzed maui III card
    sound blaster live card
  2. bigpimpblake

bigpimpblake TS Rookie

I am running windows 64 AMD athlon 3500+ on ASUS MB that has the new PCI x16 graphics slot, I found out the hard way that it needs (constent power) at all times to work correctly. Hope this helps!

I think I am one of the few that had the same problem, mine had the same things happend I tried evrething I new and nothing worked tried for bout 1 hour, then I checked where the computer power cord connected to the wall, there was a loose connection, I unpluged the computer and pluged it back in to get a good connection and then cut my computer back on and (it worked)
  3. kol_indian

kol_indian TS Rookie Posts: 368

Hello and welcome to techspot :wave: :wave:

it seems u have some hardware failure the best bet is to take it to the place that u bought it and geting the fan checked atleast that what i can summarize from the problem, check if the PSU is supplying power if the cord is connected properly inside and if both the PSU plugs are connected :grinthumb
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.