My computer shuts down randomly

CPUID%20image_1.JPG

I bought a new desktop PC in Jan this year. I have ASUS motherboard, 4gb ram, 500 gb HD and AMD phenon 2 (x2 550) processor.

My computer shuts down randomly without any warning! (no blue screen, no freezing, just like that as if power cord is pulled off). Sometimes it does right after starting my PC even before I login into my account, sometimes after running PC for 1 hr so and, sometimes it does not, i normally shut it down when my work is done! Recently it has started shutting down randomly pretty frequently.

It shuts down and does not restart. After I start PC again manually, I don't see any error, not even in the event viewer. Even my Mozilla tabs are restored, as they were before it shut down randomly !!

I tried searching for solutions in few blogs, and found out that these could be because of either overheating, virus, hardware, driver or OS problem. I installed CPUID to check for temps, and have attached a image with its data (hope it shows).

The core temps are normally between 45-55 C (once it shot to 65), CPU temps between 45-52 C, mainboard between 32-34 C and assembly around 35-37 C. I already have 3 fans in the CPU, one over chip, one for SMPS and an extra one installed with the cabinet. But I found no correlation of temps with the time at which PC shut down randomly - sometimes it went off even when core temp was 45, sometimes even when it was 55.

I checked as the other blog recommended for OS issues, by letting PC sit in CMOS setup and checked if it shut down after some time which it did (so no OS problem). For viruses, I am using Bitdefender Antivirus 2010. And also for drivers I did not see any problem in the device manager, as for hardware I tried cleaning ram and re-inserting it, but still I face the same problem of my PC shutting down randomly and after starting again manually, acting as if nothing ever happened( no error nothing) !! :(

Please help me. Awaiting for your replies.

Anand

What is unlocking cores? I haven't done that knowingly. Could you let me know how to check that, I will check and let you know.

Go to computer\properties\device manager\processors , then see if you have 2 cores or more
if it is 2 only then that's fine, if more than 2 then let me know.
I will set a screen shots about temps from my pc using AMD overdrive ,these may help you:

Attachments

• Desktop_2011_09_19_14_58_22_449.jpg
    Desktop_2011_09_19_14_58_22_449.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 5
  • Desktop_2011_09_19_14_59_54_933.jpg
    Desktop_2011_09_19_14_59_54_933.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 5
Hi skystar,

I have two cores only. Also I have finally correctly uploaded a screenshot from CPUID. Your temps are slightly lower than mine, but I checked the max temps for AMD phenon cores and still they are pretty much within that range. I dont know what the hell is causing this problem.

Anand.

Attachments

• CPUID image_1.JPG
    CPUID image_1.JPG
    151.4 KB · Views: 2
Back