TechSpot

My computer starts and shuts down before O/S starts

By dwa1952
Aug 11, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hello,

My computer was on when I experienced a power outage while pc was plugged into surge suppressor. Now when I start the computer, it will shut down within 30 seconds. I have checked all cables and all are tight. I have suspected the HDD, since the O/S does not seem to initiate. Also, the pc attempts to process by the indicator light shown on the front panel of the pc.

I have replaced the PSU and I still have the same problem.

PC specs: HP Pavilion M8100N media center edition
    Socket type: AM2 Motherboard Athlon 64 X2 with Dual Core technology up to 5600+ (up to 89 watt)
    memory 3 GB Speed: PC2-5300 MB/sec, hdd is a western digitial 500 gb, power supply is only 300 W. Thanks anyone for any help in this.

den

2. Mark56

Mark56 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,889

Is the monitor showing the normal boot up process up to the point of it crashing.

Run these two diagnostics to make sure your hard drive and memory are OK.

3. dwa1952

dwa1952 TS Rookie Topic Starter

.iso copy unsucessful for boot up

i made a copy of the .iso file from western digitial and the cd will not boot upon startup. my first priority is the cd so it should read but does not.

4. Mark56

What did you use to burn the ISO image?

Please answer this question from my last post:

5. dwa1952

computer starts and quits problem

Hello, I downloaded isoburnimage.com. The monitor is on up until the crash.

thanks

Den

6. Mark56

Ok, try removing the hard drive from the PC. Then see if it will boot from the diagnostics disc.

7. dwa1952

Sorry, but I fail to understand how removing the hd from the pc i will be able to boot from the dianostic cd. To run the cd I would think that I would need the HDD plugged in and preferable in a stable position. Please explain this to me.

Thanks

Den

8. Mark56

The idea of this short test is to see if the PC will boot from the CD without it being able to see the boot sector on the hard drive (irrespective of the boot order setting). It obviously will not be able to run the test.

If you are quite certain you burned the correct ISO image for the diagnostics there should be no reason why it won't boot from the CD unless there is some other hardware failure.

So, with the hard drive disconnected the PC should boot from the CD, if it fails to locate the CD then it is likely that the power surge has done some damage to your PC's hardware.

Do you have a copy of the OS you can try and boot from? And please tell me what version of windows you are using.

9. dwa1952

I have swapped hdd and it seems to be working. I can actually log into windows.

Thanks all for your help

Den

10. Mark56

Your welcome.