My computer turns off by itself

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gordon9999

This is a problem I have never seen before. This is the computer I have from my only other thread within hardware and moding (picture of computer is in thread along with all the information).

Ok, I was planning to just get the tech people to fix it when they install the new pieces into the computer but If someone can help me fix this problem sooner than later then I can use my computer for the 2 weeks until i get it updated and not have to pay for it to be fixed.

The problem I have is when the computer is on it somehow just turns off on its own.

I could be running a program or just sitting reading something in word document and then all of a sudden the screen goes black (shows yellow standby light) , key board and mouse turns off, "lights go out on them and they do not respond" and any program I have closes immediately right before the screen goes black and the light on the screen goes yellow. Then the "analog power saving mode" box shows up on the screen "The same as if i turned the screen on when the computer is off." I look at the tower and nothing changes. The blue "on" light indicator stays on and the computer is technically on, the red flashing light beside the blue one on the tower doesnt even go on like it does when the computer is thinking hard or starting up... but everything attached to the tower goes off. I try clicking ctrl alt Del but nothing at all happens. Its as if the computer is off.

This has been happening for the last 2 weeks now and I have tried everything. Im sure its not a problem with my screen or it going into hibranate because why would the mouse, keyboard and running programs on the computer shut down all at the same time and all at once. The only thing on is the tower itself. The tower doesnt even make any noise changes or anything when this problem happens. The tower looks and acts the same as if I was on it rocking out on some games or working on word documents.

The other thing that happens is everything I told you occurs but right after all of that happens the computer will restart (almost right after the analog power saving mode sign shows on screen). I have even seen it restart after everything shuts down and while its restarting it restarts again or does the same weird shutdown before windows even uploads.. Very crazy weird, and I have had computers my hole life and I have never seen anything like this.

I cant think of much else as information to give. I was thinking It might be over heating and turning off automaticaly so not to cause hardware damage "built in computer percotion" is my assumption. The thing is this can happen almost 30 seconds after I turn the computer on or I could use it for hours some days and it will do the auto shut down at a random time and other days I can turn the computer on and before it even starts up it does the auto shut down. It never shuts down tat the same time the same way twice. The tower light and the sound the computer makes never changes during this problem. It will always show the blue light and look like its a happy computer unless it restarts which is every other time.

Please help if possible.

-Gord

Is this computer a laptop or a desktop computer? if it is a desktop computer, the power supply may be going bad

It is a desktop computer.

I got the power supply recently with the new graphics card I bought. no longer than a few months ago. All the information and pictures of the computer are at this thread >

https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic127484.html

It has a new power supply when I got the graphics card so I hope that's not the problem. Wouldn't the tower and fans and everything in the computer tower shut off if it was a power supply problem?

Thanks for the reply Tmagic650

I hope I can get this fixed through techspot soon rather than pay next week for it to be fixed. It is a odd problem. I know it is not a virus because I did the 8 step anti-virus walk through with people from techspot and they said it was clean.

This is a hardware problem... You paid someome to upgrade or build it for you just recently. Take it back to them and have them replace the defective part

hmm. Oky doky. I guess it must be because of the new graphics card and power supply they put in afew months ago. This problem just started about a week and a half ago but I can't think of anything else that would cause this.

It only happens sometimes too. I went all last night without it shuting down. It's almost like the computer chooses when it wants to be a cranky pants.

Thanks again dude. I will deffinatly "attempt" to get the people who installed the hardware to fix it free of charge. I can for see them requesting money with no negotiations though.

my luck.

If anyone else can see why this is happening specifically then please feel free to make a note and I promise I will read it.

Cheers

MY computer also turns off

I have same problem!! amber light comes on, sometimes after 2 hrs- sometimes 5. Called dell tech support and they came to conclusion i need to do a system restore. I dont want to if i dont have to. I will lose so much. What should i do?

when you have a problem you should make your own thread,

but whatever,

if dell told to do a system restore,

it would be wise to do it,

you wont lose anything.

Sorry im bringing up an old thread again but im having a close problem to the first guy. my desktop powers up fine, after a few mins it will turn itself off and the power LED flash's. i heard that i can use my D bracket to debugg the problem beacuse i don't believe its my power supply as this psu has been running fine untill i upgraded my motherboard.
i must also add that my motherboard has a 24pin power input thingo and im using a 20pin plug, would this have nething to do with my issues.

the MB is a :MS-7184 (V1.x)

I figured out what my problem was. After buying a new power supply, new processor and all types of scans and stuff they finally figured out what the problem is. HURRAY.

My mobo was burnt..... They noticed it right after the power supply check. I have had the motherboard (mobo) for about 3 years now and I guess it slowly got burnt over time. I will be putting in a new mobo and heat sinc on the mobo plus two more gigs of ram. :)

For elmonik I am not sure what your problem could be. Read the information after this and I bet one of the things i talk about may be the cause of your problem. Lets hope your new mobo is not burnt.

For twizzler- FYI first thing you need to check is your ram, power supply, processor and hard drive. If those parts are fine then look at windows. My advice for you twizzler is to take it into a computer shop and get them to do a diagnostic check on your computer. Unless you know how to do the checks within the BIOS and have extra parts to test on otherwise twizzler I would take it into the computer shop. At least you know what pieces in your computer would cause the computer to shut down.

If your worried about losing stuff on your computer twizzler "don't be" When or if you go to the computer shop you can tell them to save all the stuff on a disk or whatever and when they finish whatever they have to do to your dell computer they will put the stuff right back on your computer. The best place I know for tech support is PC Cyber. They are very good at spoting legitimate issues.

Check list:

ram: do a memtest in BIOS
power supply: try a different power supply
processor: try a different processor
hard drive: hard drive test in BIOS
Windows/Linux: reinstall if the windows test in BIOS says to

and last but not least... make sure your motherboard is not burnt :)

Thanks for all the help guys and good luck with your computer Twizzler and Elmonik.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back