TechSpot

My computer will not play or recognize CDs, what can I do?

By drkstr121
Dec 21, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. I have a Sony Vaio with windows XP Professional 2002, I know it old, to the best of my knowledge it up to date the cd driver is newer, approx. 8 yrs. original would not open anymore. the cd driver is an LG CD-RW CED-8083B. Now when I put a cd into the cd drive, the cd icon appears on the curser and you hear the disk move a little but, the only disk it seem to want to play is one legit cd and this old burnt cd i have, a pop up opens and ask what i want to do with the disk, and then I play the cd on itunes. It dosen't recognize older or newer legit cds and it won't play them.

When i go into my computer and click on the cd drive, nothing shows up and it dose not give me the message to insert disk, even when I don't have a disk in it. I attempt the same thing on the dvd drive, when there's a disk in the dvd drive it dose the same thing as in the cd drive, and i click on the drive from my computer I seems to want to load something because it take a few second to go into the drive but, then it gives a message to insert disk, the message to insert disk to drive pop up quickly when there is no disk in the dvd drive. I've attempted several fixes: deleted the Upperfilter and Lowerfilter, updating driver, what else can I do other that purchasing a new driver?

2. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

You should be able to find a NEW replacement on eBay for $27 to $50 on a lucky day. They are not difficult to replace. You can never count on one that is used very much to last a long time.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.