My computer won't boot at all (very detailed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, sorry I'm new here but I seem to be having a problem with a new computer I just inherited from a friend. It came in an Alienware case and its got one of these Asus p4t533-c mobos in it that you can find a lot of problems about on google, thing is I couldnt find MY problem, and I was wondering if anyone could possibly give me a hand.

Basically I snatched this thing from a friend last night and when I try to turn it on, fans spin, lights come on, ps/2 keyboard and USB works (computer beeps when I push keys), it gives me ONE SHORT beep (no error during POST), everything seems fine but nothing comes up on the screen. It (the screen) doesnt stay in standby, and is reading a signal at 1280x1024 @ 30HZ, but it stays black dispite being taken out of standby. The last thing is that if I hit the power button, it (the computer) shuts off immediately, I dont have to hold it.

Now, if I remove a stick of RAM (it has 4), the symptoms change. Fans still spin, drives turn on, however I now get no signal to my screen, it DOES NOT beep regardless of what I do to it and the keyboard will work. Also, I now have to HOLD DOWN the power button to shut the computer off. This happens regardless of which stick of ram I take out, or how many.

I've tried... Removing the CMOS battery, changing PSUs, unplugging d*** near everything in the case, unplugging the HD, pulling ram, and changing the graphics card. I even tried taking the graphics card out completely at which point it will give me the proper error that the card is missing (1 long beep followed by 3 short beeps), but only as long as all 4 sticks of ram are seated.

I'm at a loss and I just want something to come up on the screen. I was wondering if anyone could give me a hand, or if it seems the thing is just shot and not worth fixing.. Thanks for any advice!!!

I can't think of much.

Remove all the components from your motherboard other than the CPU. Take it out of the case and place it on an anti-static surface. Now just put in a single stick of RAM in the first memory slot (the one closest to the CPU I think). Does your system have onboard VGA? If yes, then plug your monitor to that. Else put in your GPU after the RAM and plug your monitor to it. Don't put in any more components. Ensure that you've connected the main power cables properly (20+4 pin, 4 pin, 6 pin PCI-E if required). Now try starting up. Before doing these ensure that you've cleared your CMOS. You could also try replacing the mobo battery.

If you still don't get any results then it could be a fried mobo or CPU issue.

Ritkik7 is right on target.

But was it working before you got it from your friend? Are all the parts you are currently using the parts your friend used?

More to do
Swap monitor
Swap ram (If you have not done this already)
Clean ram connector gently with a pencil eraser (the part of the ram that connects in the slot)

Sounds like it posts but you get no display.

Have you tried switching your monitor off and on after it posts?
Have you tried the other output (if applicable) on your graphics card?
Have you tried a different graphics card?

Regarding the RAM issues, sounds like it requires the RAM to be installed in pairs hence it won't post if you have the wrong configuration.

Sounds like it posts but you get no display.

Have you tried switching your monitor off and on after it posts?
Have you tried the other output (if applicable) on your graphics card?
Have you tried a different graphics card?

Regarding the RAM issues, sounds like it requires the RAM to be installed in pairs hence it won't post if you have the wrong configuration.

I suspected the ram pair thing as well, I just did a quick google of his mobo and your right.
http://www.memorystock.com/memory/ASUSP4T533C.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back