My computer won't get an ip address

Status
Not open for further replies.
reciently my computer stoped working for the internet... i have tried everything to fix it i think i might haft to do with my TCP/IP

it gos though a cable modem.. ive tried to system restore my computer and nothing seems to be working.. can anyone help me out???

Start > Run > cmd > Ok.

Type the following commands:

ipconfig /release (Tap Enter)

ipconfig /renew (Tap Enter)

If you still get nothing, try resetting your modem.

ive went to the extent to even get a new modem
i got
An error occured while renewing interface Local Area Connection : unable to contact your DHCP server. Request timed out

Simple sollution

Cal the ISP your "paying" For tech support.Isn;t that obvious ?
As for ip address
Run Command prompt C:/ in System Tools.Then type,
ipconfig then Enter
:cool:
Interesting to see you arrived here though.:confused:

Accounts can be setup with an ISP to get an IP address using different methods. But, almost certainly, yours is setup to use a protocol called DHCP where your computer requests an IP address from your ISP. Your ISP sends you a "lease" on an IP address. (it;s a lease cause ur ISP can terminate the lease and change it on you! but, you, the user should never know the difference)

Your problem indicates you can't communicate properly with your ISP.

Go ahead and post your configuration but use the /all parameter:
ipconfig /all

Most likely, though, you have a connection problem with your ISP. In fact, the new modem may have added to the problem as you may need to register it's MAC address with your ISP before they start talking to it. (The MAC address is probably printed on a sticker on our modem. )

Call them

Make sure your network settings are configured to obtain the IP address and DNS automatically. Ensure that the DHCP Client service is started. If you have a router in the loop, remove it. Make sure your NIC drivers are installed. Try a new NIC and a new CAT5 cable.

all the checklists for your problems are true. But given what i sense as your current experience level at diagnosing all the possibilities AND the fact that no matter how much diagnosing you do, the problem may still boil down to a required call to your ISP to give them the new modem's MAC address.. i suggest you start with the call to your ISP.

Connection_Specific Dns suffix . : (blank)
Description .............................. : NVIDA nForce Networking Controller
Physical adgress..... 00-16-EC-etc
Dhcp Enabled ................. yes
auto config ip adgress 169.254 etc
subnet mask 255 255 0 0
default gateway (Blank)

Are you connecting to your router with ethernet or USB? (note: USB requires drivers)

Start --> Run--> cmd /c ipconfig /all >Desktop\ipconfig.txt < ok>

And post the ipconfig.txt (on your Desktop) as an attachment here

Also try:
start->run->cmd
ipconfig /flushdns
net stop "DNS Client"
net start "DNS Client"

More information here: Tutorial: Basic networking

default gateway (Blank)
You won't be able to ping anywhere, with that message.
It's basically saying no connection to your Router.

Please follow the above recommendations in my post fully (ipconfig? ethernet? Modem on?)

Please read my post (now way up there somewhere!)
I am recommending that you post an IPCONFIG report (your choice entirely of course!)
And wondering if you use an ethernet cable to connect (Yes or no would be good)
And also asked if your modem is actually on and connected (Again Yes or no)

Please read the post again, slowly.

edit:

And with those questions, you have decided to sign off

4 members have asked for an ipconfig
1 member said given your lack of experience in diagnosing, contact your ISP

At a guess, I would say put your TCP/IP settings to auto
Set up your router to DHCP, and confirm username/password

But, I feel your best option is to call an onsite technician for help.
It should take him/her 5 mins to fix. Minimum charge 1 Hour.

Hey man,

I had the same problem recently.

And i tried to give static ip to my computer and it did connect to the network.

Please try this and let me know at least by this if you are able to connect to network.

If yes, then i'll help you with the connection with the internet.

If no, have tried changing the Ethernet cable? I have seen in some case if the cable is no good it won't renew the ip address.

Cheers

An important bit of information i'll repeat:

You said you changed your modem. There's a unique ID associated with each device attached to the network. You ISP knows when your modem/network hardware changed. It varies by ISP but some will not allow you to connect until you manually contact them to register the "MAC ID" for your new hardware. When you call your ISP tell them about the modem change FIRST.

That said, some ISP these days work with devices for automatic registration and some devices allow you to "clone" the MAC ID so your ISP sees what you want them to see... but given someone's experience level and trying to explain to check/modify all these on your own not knowing your particulars is easiest to just call your ISP.

And agree, shouldn't take them too long to get you back online (provide you aren't reallllyyyyy hosed up on your end - like a burned out network card)

i was just going to add something about when talking to your ISP you can also make sure you replaced the old modem with one compatible with your ISP (they're not all equivalent/the same). But just noticed you posted this morning you've already talked to your ISP???

What did they tell you??? Especially if you're saying you finished talking with them and they couldn't get the problem fixed????

Where you get Modems

I got mine " Free " from MY ISP.I't works fine.
Guaranteed to be compatible.
Part of the monthly package.
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back