My computer won't start after installing a new video card

I have a old computer, running windows XP. I tried to update the driver so that I could play minecraft, but i didn't know the type of card I had. So in order to find out the model of the graphics card so I could download new drivers, I pulled it out, and wrote down the model type. I put it back in (wrong) so it didn't work. After a few tries, I put in a new video card and tired that. I always get stuck at the point where it says "New hardware or software has caused the computer to have trouble starting. Start in safe mode, start with command prompt, start at last working way (or something like that), start windows normally". Now I have no working video card and don't know what to do.

Old Video Card: XFXGeforce e4 MX440
New Video Card: I don't know, it says nothing on it, and wasn't in its original box.

Also, I dont care witch card goes in.

Ask me if you need anything else.

Does this computer have on-board video? On-board means part of the motherboard and not a separate card... If it does, try to connect the monitor to that video output

Please forgive me for this stupid question here, but in your check list of things done, I failed to see where you "turned off" your computer before pulling the video card out! Did you yank the card while the computer was on? If you did this, yank it with it on, your kind of up poo poo creek without a paddle. Yanking things like internal network card, sound cards and video cards will blow the Operating Systems device registry set wide open and cause the type of problems you are reporting! Might have to think about starting back over from scratch, wipe the drive and reinstall or if you have everything backed up, you might have to use that back up as a restore feature.

Also in regards to your issue about not knowing what type of video card you've got there, because of "nothing written on it", that's an easy one to deal with. Just because the card doesn't have any informative stickers on it, just look for serial numbers, model numbers, and device numbers colored white, imbedded in the green colored silicone that makes up the video card system board. You can put any white colored number you find in the silicone area of the board into a Google search engine and 9 times out of 10 it will lead you to what you've got.

Again I'm not trying to insult you by the stupid question, but as a certified computer technician, I've seen it happen before, it sucks for my clients who do this, but great job security for me! :)

Okay, im not a total *****, and turned off, and unplugged my computer before I went in. As for the video card model, I looked it over again, and in tiny letters I found "3DFX" google imaged it, and I founds its a "3dfx interactive video card 3dfx 500-0010-01". Maybe that could help? You also said something about wipeing the computer, might this help because I don't have any important files on there. Also, it dose not have on-board video.

Ya, I was just trying to find the vesion of my old one, but was just trying to get anything to work at that point. My mind is messy, sorry.

Back