My computer won't WOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HaLo2FrEeEk

Just what the title says, I can't get it to wake up. I don't know if I'm doing it wrong. Here is my setup:

I have my main machine, which is connected to my wireless network with a usb adapter. This is the machine I will be sending the Magic Packets from.

I have my second machine, a thrown together piece o' junk, that works! My network card on the second machine supports WOL (it has integrated ethernet, VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter.)

I've used 3 different programs, one was a command-line utility, the second a utility I got off depicus.com, and the third one from AMD themselves.

Here is what I do (for testing):

Plug in the second machine by a RJ-45 Ethernet cable from the ethernet port on the computer to the router.
Turn off the second computer (start > shutdown > turn off)
Go to my main computer and open the app to wake on lan.
type in the second computer's MAC address, IP address on the network, which is 192.168.1.87, and the subnet mask, which is 255.255.255.0.
Click send packets and...nothing. The second computer remains resolutely set in the off mode.

I would very much like to be able to control the second computer from my main one without having to go to it and turn it on.

Can you guys help me out, is there a way to see if my packets are even reaching the target? I was looking at cain and abel and thought that might work, but I used that program during my Halo 2 modding phase and didn't like it. Could someone give me help with how to use it to tell if my magic packets are coming through to that machine, please.

Thank you.

Come on guys, I KNOW that someone here knows what I can do, and you guys can easily write up something helpful. I'm not asking for much. It's not that I'm too lazy to get up and walk 10 feet to turn on the other computer, but I'm trying to set this up as sort of a home project, and I want to be able to WOL from one computer or the other. Right now I'm focusing on going from my main computer to my secondary. Next I'll work on the other way around. Please, someone help me!

Hey guy....

not sure where ur located.. but understand this is a global sites with the largest parts of membership in various geographic areas around the world. As a result of big time zone changes across site users there are some times (like now) that are much slower then others. It may take up to another 12 hours but confident u should be hearing a followup from several people.

oh.. and i just re-read the post myself. I didn't answer before as most of your question falls outside my areas of expertise. ..... However,!

You did ask about knowing if packets are making it between between machines. I can recommend Network Analyzer tools (free and, i thought, surprisingly many good features seeing as hot it is freeware)

Look at Packetyzer and Wireshark

Thankee, I will look at those programs, I'll see if I can get a packet to actually even come through, if it is then I'll need help figuring out why my computer won't wake up. Another wierd thing is that I've got the jumper for usb_pwr set to 5VSB (5 Volt Standby) so I can turn the computer on with the keyboard, but it still won't.

Are you familiar with Network Analyzers? Use them before?

I ask because these are both freeware but surprisingly feature-rich.

If you're not particularly fimilar with Network Analyzers plan needing spinup time to go thru documentation, experiment with settings, and figure out how to manage all those data and control packets arriving while you test.

Good. and don't get me wrong. i think is also good to be familiar with. Just a warning it may take several days to get to the point you can even use it for what you want.

Or maybe not. Depending on the level of functionaliy you'll require. And sounds like yoiu know how to be patient w/new tool so that helps too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back