My CPU is on fire...

Chris Barry

Hey, I just installed new ram and a gtx 670 and I went to see how temps were 5 minutes of installing drivrs.! Not evn gaming and my giant cpu cooler is scorching hot.! its barely been warm with my old card, I know something is not normal.. I think it might be the ram its I think 1800 apose from my old 1333. Would that cause overheating problems?. going to try the old ram in the am...

thx people!

Hello Chris,
First, post your exact temps as reported, and the software used to measure them (assuming you didn't stick you finger into the heatsink fins). Generally, modern GPUs run quite a bit hotter than CPUs, so I wouldn't be surprised. The RAM shouldn't make a drastic change in temps, whether DDR1 or DDR3.

I will do that.! But you see, my gpu wasnt hot. My heatsink\cpu was screaming hot. when bfore with my 2 xfire cards it barely got warm. Ill report back shortly

Download HWmonitor or Realtemp, touching your components while the PC is running is NOT a good method of measuring temps.

GPUs won't be hot at idle anyway, especially the GTX 670 which runs very cool.

I actully used my food thermometer! ;) I Used Occt to check the temps and here is what I got, this might take a minute.

Attachments

• My temps.png
    My temps.png
    144.7 KB · Views: 18
This is crazy, I have a 5 inch copper heat sink that has never even been warm before I installed the new card, and now it's almost to hot to touch. I have my old ram in thinking it may of been the new Pny 8gig 1866mhz/cas 9/1.65 that was making it do this.

I tried running Unigine11 and it's bsod on me, Saying something about memory management. *note this was with the new ram.

"[LEFT][FONT=Verdana]Hi everyone,[/FONT][/LEFT][LEFT][FONT=Verdana] [/FONT][/LEFT]

[LEFT][FONT=Verdana]I recently upgraded by video card from a radeon 4850 to an [/FONT][/LEFT][LEFT][FONT=inherit][FONT=inherit][FONT=inherit]nvidia[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/LEFT][LEFT][FONT=Verdana] GTX 560. On making this change, my PC began to randomly shutdown, the source of which I quickly identified as the CPU overheating beyond its 'safe' temperatures. [/FONT][/LEFT]

[LEFT][FONT=Verdana]The CPU is an i7 920 c0 [/FONT][/LEFT][LEFT][FONT=inherit][FONT=inherit][FONT=inherit]stepping[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/LEFT][LEFT][FONT=Verdana] in an MSI X58 motherboard. [/FONT][/LEFT]

[LEFT][FONT=Verdana]After some testing back and forth, swapping out the new card and the old one and testing various temperatures, I have the following information: [/FONT][/LEFT]

[LEFT][FONT=Verdana]Old Radeon installed: [/FONT][/LEFT]
[LEFT][FONT=Verdana]Idle GPU [/FONT][/LEFT][LEFT][FONT=inherit][FONT=inherit][FONT=inherit]temp[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/LEFT][LEFT][FONT=Verdana]: ~65 degrees C [/FONT][/LEFT]
[LEFT][FONT=Verdana]Load GPU Temp: ~80 degrees C [/FONT][/LEFT]
[LEFT][FONT=Verdana]Idle CPU temp: ~35 - 40 degrees C [/FONT][/LEFT]
[LEFT][FONT=Verdana]Load CPU Temp ~60 - 70 degrees C [/FONT][/LEFT]

[LEFT][FONT=Verdana]New GTX 560 installed: [/FONT][/LEFT]
[LEFT][FONT=inherit][FONT=inherit][FONT=inherit]Idle[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/LEFT][LEFT][FONT=Verdana] GPU Temp: ~20 - 30 degrees C [/FONT][/LEFT]
[LEFT][FONT=Verdana]Load GPU Temp: ~50 - 60 degrees C [/FONT][/LEFT]
[LEFT][FONT=Verdana]Idle CPU Temp: ~50 - 60 degress C, or higher (fluctuates a LOT) [/FONT][/LEFT]
[LEFT][FONT=Verdana]Load CPU Temp: Climbs rapidly upon use of most applications particularly games, caps at around 100 degrees C then the [/FONT][/LEFT][LEFT][FONT=inherit][FONT=inherit][FONT=inherit]system [/FONT][FONT=inherit]crashes[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/LEFT][LEFT][FONT=Verdana]. [/FONT][/LEFT]

[LEFT][FONT=Verdana]I've been reading forums and doing web reseach trying to find users with similar problems, and I believe I found a few, but for the most part people seem to think that the change is attributable to an overall case temperature change. [/FONT][/LEFT]

[LEFT][FONT=Verdana]My arguments against that would be: [/FONT][/LEFT]
[LEFT][FONT=Verdana]1) Overall case temps causing a 25 degree + swing in CPU tempatures seems pretty extreme. [/FONT][/LEFT]
[LEFT][FONT=Verdana]2) Why would the new GPU running at lower temperatures compared to the old GPU, cause such a huge swing in case temps? [/FONT][/LEFT]
[LEFT][FONT=Verdana]3) The case is a clean and well maintained full tower with 5 correctly configured fans. [/FONT][/LEFT]

[LEFT][FONT=Verdana]Does anyone have any other ideas why this might be happening? [/FONT][/LEFT]

[LEFT][FONT=Verdana]Thanks in advance for any help, [/FONT][/LEFT]
[LEFT][FONT=Verdana]Kind Regards, "[/FONT][/LEFT]

This is someone else with the exact same problem as mine, if that helps at all? I have the 920 as well at the x58 mobo.. Hmmm

Hmm that's very hot. Are you sure you didn't dislodge the HSF or something? You can try reseating the HSF and put some new thermal paste on.

Out of interest what stepping is your i7 920? If it's D0 then you should lower your Vcore, don't need anywhere near 1.25V to run it at stock speeds.

Oh em gee... Slh, right on the money.. When installing the HSF I had it a prong off!! I didnt even realize that it wasnt on, *slaps head* and not sure what you mean by stepping and d0.

Wow, I feel like an *****! I guess thats what these forums are for.. :) oh and Slh my stepping is at 5? and I have a D0

Heh, glad to help, you'll never know if you don't ask.

not sure what you mean by stepping and d0.
Download CPU-Z, it's either C0 or D0. D0 means a later revision and those chips overclock better and run at lower voltages and consequently lower temps.

To give you an idea, my D0 i7 920 runs stable at 3.2Ghz with just 1.00V. Compared to the default 1.25V the temps dropped by 10-15C.

I answered that 2 posts up SLH, with the trouble iv been having im afraid to even go into bios and mess around... Give me a day or 2 ;)

You should lower the Vcore... you only need to change that single value in the BIOS.
Have a read up on some i7 920 overclocking/undervolting guides, it really isn't that hard :)

Back