My CPU usage almost never leaves 100% (laptop)

I am using an HP pavilion dv6000. I am only using Mozilla firefox right now and nothing else but this page. My CPU usage is at 100% and staying there. I've uninstalled unnecessary programs, plugins, ran CCcleaner, defragged, checked registry errors AND run a virus scan. I'm at a loss. Everything seems to be running extremely slow. I have over 75 GB left of memory on my C drive. If you need more info, my laptop info is listed in my system information. Also, I'm running Avast! antivirus.

Do some searches of this situation... This is not really alarming or worrisome... as you will find. Most folks I know consider percentages of CPU usage pretty useless and meaningless... Most users have reports of 100% most of the time.

I realize people have posted similar things, but they're different situations. I can't think of another reason my laptop is lagging so horrible. I've run cleaners and all that. Maybe I'm missing something?

Lagging is a different issue. Lots of ways to deal with that... but just don't give a lot of weight tot he CPU percentages.

Al the standard stuff.... spyware, adware... run full scans with SuperAntiSpyware, MalwareBytes, and Microsoft Security Essentias as a start...

Then consider booting to your system with your original install disk and doing a repair install... There are probably a hundred different reasons... so you will be busy looking them up with Google and other searches.

This is assuming you have maxed our your memory, and your hard drive is not too old... If your hard drive is 3 years old or more, take a look at it... and assume you have defragged your system in addition to the scans..

Is your CPU cooler clean? How are your temperatures?

My computer runs WAY hot when I don't use my USB fan cooler. I've actually had it thermally shut down before without warning.

You really need to have the laptop opened up and see if the CPU cooler assembly and fan are clean and that the fan is running properly. Over time, dust can completely cut off cooling airflow, and the thermal paste and pads become dry and burned

Back