My custom PC

Aximilator

Hello all,

I recently bought a new computer and had it custom made to what i wanted it to be. I have a few questions about it though.

First off i will tell you what it is.
It is made up of the following hardware:

Mobo - Asus m3a76-cm pci-ex 1gb lan
Processor - AMD Athlon II x2 215 2.7ghz dual core 45nm, AM3 2mb Cache
Cooling - Spire Kestrel-King II AMD 64 fan
Ram - 3gb (3x1gb) ddr2 pc5300 667 dual channel
Graphics - GeForce 9400GT 1gb PCI express 16x dual head, tv out
optical drive - 22x Lite On DVD +-RW dual layer
Case - Cooler Master Elite 310 with side window and front usb
power supply - Logysis 480w ATX power supply

OK so here are my questions:

1. What are your overall thoughts of this system?
2. Can i overclock it and if so how much while still being stable?
3. With the fan i got do you know how cold it will be?
4. What the heck is dual layer?
5. Will the 480w power supply be enough for all this?
6. In the picture i chose this case because it looked good, was cheap and it had lights. Will it come with the lights or do i have to add them?

I ordered it online and it has not yet come :(
Thanks for the help, and all suggestions,comments, and questions are welcome.

The power supply will handle that system, although i don't know anything about Logysis PSU's. You should be able to get 700Mhz to 1Ghz OC from that CPU with ample cooling. Dual layer is a technology that lets you burn data to two layers of the DVD that sit atop one another. Different light wavelengths reach the upper layer (and 'burn') data, than do the lower data layer...(thats the very short version)
as far as the "what do you think?" question, i guess that depends on what you paid, and what its intended use is. It is not going to be much of a gaming machine with that GPU. but other than that it really goes back to what you are expecting it to do.

I looked up the Logysis 480W PSU and was unimpressed, sorry to say. It is a $15-16 PSU and only has 16A on the +12V rail. Inadequate IMO.

I like the Cooler Master case. I placed it in a Newegg wishlist and I also assumed it had lights but after you brought it up, I checked and it appears it doesn't come with lights. Maybe I'm wrong but at least one reviewer said it didn't have lights.

I looked up the Logysis 480W PSU and was unimpressed, sorry to say. It is a $15-16 PSU and only has 16A on the +12V rail. Inadequate IMO.

Good point, I should have correctly said that a typical 480w PSU will handle that system. it will work, for a while, the saving grace being that GPU needs only 2.4A at load. I would not do any OC'ing with that PSU. Like mailpup said, its inadequate.

I am going to use it as an everyday computer, mostly for videos but i play game on it. So overall how would you rate it? I bought the case because the picture had lights, so im gonna have to buy them?

Will i have enough ram and graphics for standard games? Not anything like call of duty or stuff that takes alot like that just like Battlefield, Halo, DOW, and Star Wars Republic Commando. I checked them out and it meets all the recommended requirements.

Can you link to the picture that shows the case has lights? As I said in my last post, I thought it didn't have lights. I looked at Newegg's website and Cooler Master's website. If I'm right, you'll have to add them yourself.

It will probably run those games but how well I don't know. Since you've already bought the computer install the games and see. Keep in mind that while the PC might meet the minimum requirements of the game, that doesn't mean the game play will be particularly good. Still, it might be okay. Try it and see.

Can you link to the picture that shows the case has lights? As I said in my last post, I thought it didn't have lights. I looked at Newegg's website and Cooler Master's website. If I'm right, you'll have to add them yourself.

It will probably run those games but how well I don't know. Since you've already bought the computer install the games and see. Keep in mind that while the PC might meet the minimum requirements of the game, that doesn't mean the game play will be particularly good. Still, it might be okay. Try it and see.

The computer meets the recommended requirements not just the minimum.
Here is the link:

http://www.magicmicro.com/smoreinfo.asp?iid=2761

Nowhere in the list of hardware is a lighting option like other sites have. So i thought that it comes with it automatically...

I can see why you assumed it came with lights. The picture does show the PC being lit up. Maybe when they assemble it they install an LED fan instead of the non-LED fan the case comes with so you could be right. The front bezel is not lighted, however. Any lights would come from LED fans inside the case.

I would wait for the PC to arrive, connect it up and see if there are lights. If so, you're good to go. If not, you can always buy blue LED fans and install them yourself afterward.

Go with the Rosewill mailpup suggested, It could have been a bad batch, and is extremely anecdotal, but i have had two of the Logysis fans bearings go out in just under a year.

9400GT should run older games pretty well.

As far as overclocking go, I think the consensus is pretty set. No overclocking. Wouldn't change much even if you did.

Back