My Dell monitor goes black only when watching videos online

So, last week i jumped online to watch a clip on the BBC website, and as i clicked play, my screen froze for about 5 seconds, the screen then proceeded to turn black - displaying "entering power save".

The PC still runs, i can hear it, and see the power lights on, etc.

I thought it had something to do with the video card, but reading through several of you threads i deduced that if this were the case, then the issue would apply to all video clips/games played? I know very little about PC's, i may be wrong.

But this issue does not occur when i play games, nor does it occur when i play movies on vlc/media player or on sopcast or any other external video application. Only when i am in a browser does this happen. I have tried reinstalling my browsers (i mainly use chrome and firefox) as well as explorer. I downloaded Safari just to see whether it would somehow avoid the problem. But it doesn't.

I would really appreciate some thoughts. Its frustrating not being able to stream/watch online.

Cheers

So, last week i jumped online to watch a clip on the BBC website, and as i clicked play, my screen froze for about 5 seconds, the screen then proceeded to turn black - displaying "entering power save".

Try turning off your power saver mode:
(o/s XP this is mine yours may be similar)
-> right click your mouse button when the mouse is on open desk top space
-> navigate to "Properties"
-> select "Screen Saver"
-> in the lower portion of the window there is the "Monitor Power" section and select "Power" button
-> at the heading "Turn Monitor Off" from the drop down menu select "Never"
-> click "Apply"
-> click "Ok"
Hope this helps
-> Cheers

Back