TechSpot

My Dell monitor goes black only when watching videos online

By yaniktissera
Feb 23, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. So, last week i jumped online to watch a clip on the BBC website, and as i clicked play, my screen froze for about 5 seconds, the screen then proceeded to turn black - displaying "entering power save".

The PC still runs, i can hear it, and see the power lights on, etc.

I thought it had something to do with the video card, but reading through several of you threads i deduced that if this were the case, then the issue would apply to all video clips/games played? I know very little about PC's, i may be wrong.

But this issue does not occur when i play games, nor does it occur when i play movies on vlc/media player or on sopcast or any other external video application. Only when i am in a browser does this happen. I have tried reinstalling my browsers (i mainly use chrome and firefox) as well as explorer. I downloaded Safari just to see whether it would somehow avoid the problem. But it doesn't.

I would really appreciate some thoughts. Its frustrating not being able to stream/watch online.

Cheers
  2. ucould2

ucould2 TS Enthusiast Posts: 335

Try turning off your power saver mode:
    (o/s XP this is mine yours may be similar)
    -> right click your mouse button when the mouse is on open desk top space
    -> navigate to "Properties"
    -> select "Screen Saver"
    -> in the lower portion of the window there is the "Monitor Power" section and select "Power" button
    -> at the heading "Turn Monitor Off" from the drop down menu select "Never"
    -> click "Apply"
    -> click "Ok"
    Hope this helps
    -> Cheers

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.