My Display is Fried

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have problem with my video output. It started suddenly, vertical stripes appeared on my screen while running a fullscreen application. Now the stripes or a chessboard-pattern of squares will continuously block out chunks of my screen.

I have tried to solve this problem by first restarting the computer, then by updating/re-installing my display adapter drivers, then by disabling my adapters and rebooting using the minimal video settings. The screen was still garbled throughout my attemps at fixing the problem. (Oh, by the way, NEVER disable your internal video card. I learned this the hard way. It was a pain to fix...)

Anyway... the stripes or chessboard will appear on top of anything- even my BIOS startup and setup screens. Changing monitors does not fix this problem. BUT there are periods where the screen will revert back to normal for about a minute.

Either a display failure, or a video graphics card or driver failure.
First try a borrowed monitor. If it works there, it was the monitor.
Then, if not, cold boot to SAFE MODE by repeatedly pressing the <F8> key once per second as soon as you press the power on button. Then be patient. Give it two or three minutes to boot up.
If you have a low resolution screen resulting, then your problem is either the video graphics port or the drivers for that port.
Download the latest video graphics drivers. If the problem goes away, you are done. Otherwise, buy a new graphics card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back