TechSpot

My DVD-ROM is not reading anything!

By cstriker
Aug 20, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hi guys

I have a dvd rom of model: ATAPI DVD A DH20A4P and it is not loading any disc.

And also it doesn't open from the first time, I have to press the eject button several times to make it open.

When I put the dvd or cd, the drive doesnt make any sound at all, but the light turns on.

I noticed also something when I right clicked the dvd drive in my computer,in the Hardware tab, under device properties it is saying: Manufacturer: Standard CD-ROM Drives, knowing that I have a DVD rom and not a cd rom.

any help?

2. WinXPert

WinXPert TS Booster Posts: 527

How old is your DVD drive? Try uninstalling the driver for "Standard CD-ROM Drives" then scan for hardware changes

/edit/

check the cables

3. cstriker

cstriker TS Rookie Topic Starter

- I have the dvd drive since about 2 years ago
    - I tried uninstalling the driver and then I scanned and it found the driver again but nothing happened
    -I checked the cables that are connected to the dvd drive and all of them were plugged in

4. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,506   +238

Your optical drive has probably failed. You could try a new data cable but it's likely the drive itself.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.