My DVD-ROM is not reading anything!

By cstriker
Aug 20, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hi guys

I have a dvd rom of model: ATAPI DVD A DH20A4P and it is not loading any disc.

And also it doesn't open from the first time, I have to press the eject button several times to make it open.

When I put the dvd or cd, the drive doesnt make any sound at all, but the light turns on.

I noticed also something when I right clicked the dvd drive in my computer,in the Hardware tab, under device properties it is saying: Manufacturer: Standard CD-ROM Drives, knowing that I have a DVD rom and not a cd rom.

any help?
  2. WinXPert

WinXPert TS Guru Posts: 445

How old is your DVD drive? Try uninstalling the driver for "Standard CD-ROM Drives" then scan for hardware changes

check the cables
  3. cstriker

cstriker TS Rookie Topic Starter

- I have the dvd drive since about 2 years ago
    - I tried uninstalling the driver and then I scanned and it found the driver again but nothing happened
    -I checked the cables that are connected to the dvd drive and all of them were plugged in
  4. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 6,964   +355

Your optical drive has probably failed. You could try a new data cable but it's likely the drive itself.