My emails are in the trash

Help! I have windows 8.1
All my emails (in,sent, drafts, etc) are in my recycle bin. When I restore them they disappear from the recycle bin...but when I go into my email ..everything that I restored pops back into the recycle bin.

I have located the message storage in my c drive and copy'd it all to a new folder but the shows nothing in it.
I have opened "hidden folders"..nada.

I use windows live mail. I have Verizon, which is POP3 which has worked fine until now.

ANY CLUES????

Don't use Live Mail, -- but -- with other systems, there's folder like
  • inbox
  • drafts
  • sent
  • junk
  • trash
and by opening eg: trash, mail therein can be drag-n-dropped back into the inbox

It all goes to my desktop trash (as you said, the system recycle bin)...not the email trash.
When I open the recycle bin the items are called things like:
edb
mail messagestore
edbres00001
But when I click restore and open live mail..it all pops back to the recycle bin.

Switching from Live Mail to OE or whatever 8.1 has was frustrating for me..besides, 8.1 only supports IMAP not POP3
thanks again jobeard.. can you offer any other advice?

.besides, 8.1 only supports IMAP not POP3
Not really - - it's not Win/8.1, IMAP vs POP3 are supported by the email service you use.
Some support both and others only one or the other. Your email client then has to use what's available.

Doesn't Live Mail have a web-based interface? Try that.

btw: This looks more like a Live Mail issue. I have a gmail account using IMAP and can move email to and from folders (including the trash) using d-n-d.

Ok..thanks.. I just located all the lost emails!!! Here's what I did.
I went to my c drive and in the search box typed *.eml (something I saw on line)
And there they were. I created a new folder on my desktop. Went back to the c drive, hit ctrl + A then drag and drop the whole pile to the new folder.
Now I have to figure the most effective way to get them back into live mail (which I do plan on changing)
Do you think I can export to a new folder in email? It doesn't drag and drop.
One last plea for help jobeard...
Can I change the storage location so if it happens again I don't have to go nuts??
Where should I change it to?
Thanks so much for all your help.
Lin

Can't say what Live Mail does or doesn't do - - it's MS after all.

I CAN recommend Mozilla Thunderbird (TB) as an email client and you will be pleased with it. The issue will be which email provider will you use and TB even has an auto configure - - remember GMAIL is free and plays well with others.

I just did a d-n-d from one email on my desktop into my primary inbox in TB :)

Back