My external Western Digital HDD is not recognized

Hello,

My wife dropped my brand new External WD HDD and it won't work.
I tried it on my Vista laptop and my Win7 Desktop.
In both computers the HDD will increase the booting time by 7-12 minutes and the HDD is detected, BUT it can not be opened/seen with the windows explorer.
It is 1.5TB in size and right now I am using HHD Regenerator with a bootable CD to recover the disk. The thing is that it has been 10 hours and only 0.04% of the disk has been scanned...1028MB to be precise and it keeps findings "bad sectors". I have like 2.100.000 bad sectors detected...at this rate it will take like 20 days to finish the scan...why is it taking so long???
Pls help, I need to rescue some info from that HDD.

Thanks in advance,

Jose...

Personally in my line of work, I've had to recover a lot of failing hard drives, but never did I have to recover one that had been dropped, that's a new one for me. I have heard, but never used, that program you speak of. I myself try to do my best to transfer information on a "going out" hard drive to another, rather than try and "regenerate" one.

Now mind you, the hard drive has been dropped, if dropped upon a carpeted floor, you may have a chance! Dropped upon a hard wood floor or tile floor and linoleum flooring, you most likely are out of luck.

If you can you should try and find yourself a spare hard drive, hook it up to your system and try running a program called "Drive Copy"! Might have better luck to just copy the hard drive, as it is now. Then worry about reforming or regenerating a hard drive.

And if all else fails, you said two key words in your post, which were brand new, you said the drive is brand new, so if you got the original packaging, sometimes not required, and you still have the sales slip, package all that together, and get yourself back to the store and get another new external hard drive.

"Seriously Mr. or Mrs. or Ms. salesperson, the drive just wont work, I can only wonder why" :rolleyes:

Good luck to you..............

Back