My first build... tell me what you think

Status
Not open for further replies.

davisjaron

I'm trying to save up to build a computer... I have been looking on newegg at parts and i have come to what I think would be a decent build... Shipping and all, with all combo deals and savings included it comes out to $372.81, so I think it's a pretty nice build.

Of course I didn't add in a monitor, speakers, keyboard, or mouse because I already have them, but I also didn't add a hard drive in because I figure I can use my IDE hard drive for now, but I am still considering going with a new SATA, but if I did it would be a small one, because I have plenty of external hard drive space (over 1.3tbs total). Also I decided not to add a graphics card because the mother board has an onboard ati radeon hd3200 with a vga, dvi, AND hdmi output built on.

So here are the specs to my build for 372.81:
secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.aspx?ID=15258927

- HEC 6C28BB8S Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
Model #:6C28BB8S
Item #:N82E16811121001
34.99 after savings

- GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM-US2H AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
Model #:GA-MA78GM-US2H
Item #:N82E16813128379
79.99 (combo with processor is 144.99)

- Linkworld LPK2-30-P4 500W ATX12V Power Supply - Retail
Model #:LPK2-30-P4
Item #:N82E16817165024
15.99 after instant 3 dollars savings

- AMD Phenom 9600 Agena 2.3GHz Socket AM2+ 95W Quad-Core Processor Model HD960ZWCGDBOX - Retail
Model #:HD960ZWCGDBOX
Item #:N82E16819103244
119.99 (combo with mobo is 144.99)

- G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Desktop Memory Model F2-8500CL5D-4GBPQ - Retail
Model #:F2-8500CL5D-4GBPQ
Item #:N82E16820231241
45.99 after instant 4 dollars savings

- LG 20X DVD±R DVD Burner w/ SecurDisc Tech Black SATA Model GH20NS15 - OEM
Model #:GH20NS15
Item #:N82E16827136149

- Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit for System Builders - OEM
Model #:66I-01939
Item #:N82E16832116488

I am a geeksquad agent and I think vista is a bit easier to work on... maybe it's just me, ha.

So, does it sound like a good build for a first time builder? Comments are appreciated.

The big Red Flag for me is that power supply. Its garbage. I don't know anything about case but the rest are solid parts. You don't mention what video card you'll be running but spend the cash on a good psu. You're only asking for headaches otherwise.

The big Red Flag for me is that power supply. Its garbage. I don't know anything about case but the rest are solid parts. You don't mention what video card you'll be running but spend the cash on a good psu. You're only asking for headaches otherwise.

Board has onboard graphics; http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128379&Tpk=GA-MA78GM-US2H
Not a bad idea actually, buy a Video card later, when you can afford it.

But seriously, davisjaron, Route 44 probably hasn't said enough rude things about your choice of PSU. The Gigabyte board is a nice choice. A great many of the new builds here at Techspot have been done with one or another or their "Ultra- Durable" models.

Newegg has an email code on this PSU; http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371006&Tpk=Antec EA-430 Here on this page; http://promotions.newegg.com/NEemail/latest/index-landing.aspx

Antec EA-430 (430 watts) $44.95 with free shipping! Big bargain, and a much better choice

I'll seccond that; any PSU for $16 is a piece of junk and I guarentee you It isn't going to put out any where near 500w. I generally reccomend sticking with antec,corsair,enermax,FSP,PC Power & Cooling, and SeaSonic sice they tend to have consistently good reliability.

Here are some reccomendations:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371006 (note promo code from captincranky's post)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817104053
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703015
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139003

As for the case it's not the best but unlike a cheap PSU a cheap case will not fry your components (although it may cut your hands)
That being said I would probably go with one of these since they're only $5 more
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119189
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119115

The rest of the components look good. I know a PSU is an easy place to save money but you may be verry sorry in the future if your bargin $16 psu fries your $80 motherboard.

You are the second person that has said that actually about the power supply... I did see an HEC case that was about the same but with a 585 power supply that I was considering, then the other person that said the same thing about the power supply pointed that same combo out to me... I think i'll switch over to it...

And I did mention about the graphics card in the intro of the post, the mobo has an ati 3200hd, which I believe has 256mb dedicated that i'll stick with.

Thanks for the feedback.

Most of the cases you'll find with PSU already installed, the supplied PSU is junk. Very few will meet the quoted specs, with the exception of certain Antec cases, and they have been shipping with Antec "Earthwatts" PSUs installed.

The AntecEA-430 I linked is probably the best deal at the moment. It should be fairly easy for you to find an inexpensive case with free shipping, so you won't lose too awful much money.

before I buy a good power supply from newegg i'm gonna check my bestbuy employee price on one... I get REALLY good deals on a lot of stuff... unfortunately for some reason they decided that we could sell every part of a computer except the motherboard and processor... it's complete gayness, haha... but seriously, even I don't understand after a year of working in bestbuy computers, why we don't sell those two parts... but we sell everything else... including cases...

but for a lot of stuff I get INCREDIBLE discounts.

davisjaron said:
but seriously, even I don't understand after a year of working in bestbuy computers, why we don't sell those two parts
Because BestBuy is not like other computer hardware stores such as TigerDirect or NCIX.

And the PSUs are usually horrendously overpriced. I actually saw an EA500 in a BB store in Austin (about 4 months ago, when I was on vacation) selling for $110!

Still, if the discount you get brings the price below the online retail price, that would be a fantastic bargain.

lol, i think it might bring it below the online price.. i'm going to have to look to see for sure.

Usually salesmen get a deep discount directly from the manufacturers, and many times it's well worth it. I've purchased things at below dealer cost (many years ago), but a salesman's purchase form had to be filled out, and you had to wait.

All things being considered the Antec EA-430 @ $44.95 is, no hassle, immediate infantile gratification, with wait being limited to 3 days tops!

- AMD Phenom 9600 Agena 2.3GHz Socket AM2+ 95W Quad-Core Processor Model HD960ZWCGDBOX - Retail
Model #:HD960ZWCGDBOX
Item #:N82E16819103244
119.99 (combo with mobo is 144.99)
No i don't think thats a good idea, despite the combo. Firstly, let me just say quad cores are not all that useful, except in multimedia stuff, and not just looking at pictures and watching movies. Second, the older phenoms are not very good, AND that is one of the processors with the TLB bug, processors running on the B3 stepping corrects the problem, and are marked by a 50 at the end, like 9650.

What's the TLB bug? And captincranky, i don't work off commission, it's all hourly, our discount isn't wholesale, it's what our store pays, plus 5%, which is GREAT sometimes, but with some stuff i don't get anything off, which sucks sometimes.

So I've been told to go with the kuma 7750 processor, it's a 2.7 dual core... why would that be better than the quad that I picked out? Any advice?

hec X-Power Pro 600 600W Continuous @ 40°C ATX12V V2.2 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Power Supply << how's that power supply, there is a combo with that kuma 7750 processor that makes it just under 100 dollars... sounds good to me, any advice there?

The Kuma 7750 is basically a B3-stepping Phenom with two cores disabled. Cheaper and as fast too. No major difference in performance compared to the 9600, unless you are into heavy video\graphic editing with 3DS Max or Maya, where the extra cores show a major improvement. As for the TLB bug, Google it. It is not something major, but you should try to avoid CPUs with that bug if you can.

Oh, and two cores suck less power and run less hotter than four cores.

As far as I can see, the combo price is now around $170 on Newegg. Since you are not doing any gaming, I recommend going for the X2 5400+ BE combo (its on the last page I think) for $135-ish. Fantastic performance for the price and you will honestly see no performance difference between it and the Phenom chip(s).

Lastly, that is a trash supply as well. I recommend the above combo and the Antec EA430 or the BFG LS-450.

The Kuma 7750 is basically a B3-stepping Phenom with two cores disabled. Cheaper and as fast too. No major difference in performance compared to the 9600, unless you are into heavy video\graphic editing with 3DS Max or Maya, where the extra cores show a major improvement. As for the TLB bug, Google it. It is not something major, but you should try to avoid CPUs with that bug if you can.

Oh, and two cores suck less power and run less hotter than four cores.

As far as I can see, the combo price is now around $170 on Newegg. Since you are not doing any gaming, I recommend going for the X2 5400+ BE combo (its on the last page I think) for $135-ish. Fantastic performance for the price and you will honestly see no performance difference between it and the Phenom chip(s).

Lastly, that is a trash supply as well. I recommend the above combo and the Antec EA430 or the BFG LS-450.

Well I do graphic design, and i'll be trying to get into flash and illustrator, but I also will want to play some games... I think flight simulator would be a game my fiance would like to play (she's not a computer person at all, lol), so I want to be sure it can handle stuff like that without a problem.

flash and illustrator
Those are not incredibly CPU intensive, still much less than video work and 3D rendering (especially flash).

Now flight simulator, I would assume could eat a little more CPU, but I would still recommend a dual core, maybe the Kuma above.

yea i know they are as intensive as 3d rendering, but I still want to make sure I'm not going to overload it, I HATE freezing my computer when it's trying to load multiple things... I do a lot of stuff at full print resolution, and on the machines i'm on now (crap emachines) I can't really do it very easily.

The Kuma would be able to handle the rendering. For FSX though, you will need a powerful CPU and GPU (unless you are talking about FS2004).

Ok, so here is my current list of what I think I might get... I've still got a while to decide because I still have to pay for my wedding in december first, but I want to know what I'm gonna get so that I know how much I need to save...

- AMD Athlon 64 X2 7750 Kuma 2.7GHz Socket AM2+ 95W Dual-Core black edition Processor Model AD775ZWCGHBOX - Retail
Model #:AD775ZWCGHBOX
Item #:N82E16819103300

- HEC 6C28BB8S Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
Model #:6C28BB8S
Item #:N82E16811121001

- GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM-US2H AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
Model #:GA-MA78GM-US2H
Item #:N82E16813128379

- G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Desktop Memory Model F2-8500CL5D-4GBPQ - Retail
Model #:F2-8500CL5D-4GBPQ
Item #:N82E16820231241

- Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit for System Builders - OEM
Model #:66I-01939
Item #:N82E16832116488

does not includ cd/dvd drive or hard drive, because I have spares already... also does not yet include power supply because I'm going to check my best buy employee prices on them first...

just wondering... how many of you build computers as a profession? Or just for extra cash? And how much profit do you usually make off each computer?

hard drive, because I have spares already
Don't go trying to put your old harddrive into a new computer before you reformat, then again, you did include a brand new vista on your list so I assume you will format.

oh yea definitely... I have a 1tb external that I may put as an internal, but not my main hard drive bc I don't want to lose anything, but I do have some old IDE hard drives that I might use at first... however, they are IDE, so I am still considering buying a new SATA or not... it's a tough decision... if I did get one though, it would be small... probably only a 160... maybe as low as an 80 but probably not that low.

LOL man the end of the year is a long time. You can probably grab one of the i5 CPUs then along with a good P55 mobo.

Congratulations in advance though! :wave:

Well I'm going to try to slowly pick up a few parts here and there then the motherboard and processor will probably be the last thing I get... I might even end up with windows 7, but I'm not sure if I want to just rush into windows 7 since they are rushing it out too... ya know? Speaking of which, any ideas of how good 7 will be?

Well I'm going to try to slowly pick up a few parts here and there then the motherboard and processor will probably be the last thing I get... I might even end up with windows 7, but I'm not sure if I want to just rush into windows 7 since they are rushing it out too... ya know? Speaking of which, any ideas of how good 7 will be?
Parts you buy now will be outdated in the future, and you will have paid full price for them while you could pick them up on discount once the big companies phase them out in favor of new technology.
About windows 7...I would say better than vista?

If i were you I would hold off buying stuff at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back