my first building comp specs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

roy1234

Operating System : Either XP Home or Pro matters how much money i have left.
Motherboard - GIGABYTE GA-M57SLI-S4 Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard
Processor - AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ Windsor 2.4GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 Processor
Video card - EVGA 256-P2-N624-AR GeForce 7900GS 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 KO Video Card
RAM (for now will upgrade to 4 gigs later) - G.SKILL 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory
Hard drive - SAMSUNG SpinPoint T Series HD321KJ 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
CD/DVD drive - SAMSUNG Black 18X 2MB Cache IDE DVD Burner with LightScribe and Software
Power supply - Rosewill RP550V2-D-SL 550W SLI Ready-ATX 12V V2.01 Power Supply 115/230 V CSA,UL,TUV
Sound Card - Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE 7.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Interface Sound Card

maybe this ram - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

i really didnt know where i could put this so i just posted here.
i wanted to know if all these are compatible with each other and will not have problems

i seriously need some information!!!
im only 13. almost 14.
my first computer build. making this around $700 with my own money!!!

Your power supply isn't very good. At least I wouldn't use it in a machine I cared about. If you want a decent one without spending lots of money look into FSP a bit.

Don't bother with 4 gigs of RAM with XP Home or Pro as your OS. You are going to need a 64bit OS to use 4 gigs. Also make sure if you are getting 1GB to get 2 512 sticks, or if you are getting 2 gigs get 2 1GB sticks. You'll want it like that to utilize the Dual Channel ability on your motherboard.

I'd drop off that extra CD drive, you won't need more than 1 most likely and it will save you $20 or however much you are spending. Take that extra money and buy something like an Enermax Noisetaker II 485W PSU.

Also, be a bit more patient on waiting for replies. You only let roughly 30 minutes go by before complaining nobody had responded. Nobody HAS to answer you at all. You are still new here, I think it would do you some good to read the link in my signature.

Aaaaaarrr.....the impatience of the young! :)
I agree with SNGX1275 about the ram, 2Gb (2x 1gb sticks) is plenty anyway.

But for a new build, you ought to consider Vista. Sure you can still get XP oem's around, but at a young age can you afford to upgrade it later?
I have the 7900GS card, and its a great card for the money.
Personally, i'd go the intel core2duo route, but hey, a budget is a budget right?

To be perfectly honest I have made the fatal mistake of taking the AMD route!

Not to put you off or anything but the attractive prices for seemingly massive Ghz-age is completely silly. Intel atm have committed ownage on the technology race and thinking back I would have rather gone for a slower intel with bigger cache and futureproof(ish)

....notice how the intell socket has not changed (much - 478,775) whereas AMD have gone thru A,754,939,940(AM2), F and in the next few months "AM2+" for their quads....my advice is that if u wanna buy AMD...wait untill an AM2+ motherboard because as I have found out...ull just be buying a new pc when ur my age (17) cos ull get fed up of ur college/high school mates boasting about their quads ;) (my friend is getting himself an Intell extreme quad with a HD 2900XT) :(

But again, its your choice and your money and thts just my opinion

*EDIT* The only compatibility issue you could get obviously (other issues due to buggy drivers/ hardware) etc is the Motherboard/Memory relationship....basically you need to go to gigabytes website, find your mobo and look for its manual...in there should be a list of "tested" supported memory....I say "tested" because if its not on the list it could still work but then thats a risk and you cant say to them "hey u said this memory would work" etc

i dont want vista cuz ill be gaming and i heard it was bad
so im getting XP Home the OEM version
why would you want a 485W PSU? when i can get a 550?

roy1234 said:
Because if it says 550w that means squat. Psu manufacturers can quote a figure but you get what you pay for. For example a 500w psu for $29-$39?
What you need to look at is how many amps are on the 12v rails. I have a 305w psu, but I can run a 8600GTS or 7900GS or GT on it because it has a rating of 22amps. At the moment I run a 8600GT XXX. People spend money on putting together a system and short-change the most important component to save a few bucks. Here's a good read on the subject:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=205763

roy1234 said:
Well I first made that suggestion based on the limited Rosewill PSU's I've looked at. I've since checked over that Rosewill and it is a decent PSU. You'll probably be alright. But that Enermax would have absolutely no issues powering your system.

thanks for the info
just a reminder
this will just be my first computer build.
i will build more in the future and see mistakes and what i need to choose in products

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back