My first PC build. Need some thoughts about it

Jessy12

Hi, I'm new here and wanna see some of your thoughts about my first pc build..

CPU : Intel Core i5-2400 3.1-3.4GHz Turbo Quad-Core
MB : ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen 3
RAM : G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (4GBx2) 1600 CL9
GPU : (Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 2GB or EVGA GTX 560 Ti 1GB Dual fans)?
HDD : Seagate Barracuda 1TB SATA 6.0Gb/s
SSD : Corsair Force Series 3 60GB SATA 3 6Gb/s
OD : ASUS 24X DVDwriter SATA DRW-24B3ST
PSU : SilverStone 500W Strider Plus 80PLUS Bronze (Modular)
ATX : NZXT (Lexa S Steel) Midtower Chassis

I'm not going to overclock it now but I chose Z68 board for future proof, maybe in future I'm gonna upgrade some parts and going to overclock it.

How about my GPU? They're both at the same price, a little difference in price though, but what should I choose? Is Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 have good cooling system? A reliable one than the EVGA GTX 560 Ti?

Thank you in advance;)

Do not get the Seagate HDD, crap! Go with Western Digital Caviar Black or Blue. I would skip the mechanical HDD and up the size of the SSD to 128gig. Can you put the prices in that you are planning to pay, that way I can tell you if there is a better option for the same price.

Thank you for your recomment, 650W ? But i feel it is a little high,and I want to save power .what's your thought with this ?
I can't tell you why Cerf recommended the 650W PSU. But I do agree with him. although your 500W PSU should run that system fine. If you ever wanted to upgrade you would want a little more leeway then what the 500W will offer you. Also, If you ask me. The PSU is one of the single most important components in a system. If you're getting that 500W make sure to get a good quality one. Don't be afraid to spend a bit of cash.. you will not regret
it.

Is Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 have good cooling system?
In regards to your choice of GPU. I think the Sapphire HD 6950 has great cooling. At least it does for me. I use the same model and it never gets over 55c in my system. In addition its pretty quiet compared to other models.

Blkfx1,Thank you for your good advice.I will try to change the the 650W PSU ,looking forward to be better .Cheers ,you have choose the same GPU.
Thanks again.

Do not get the Seagate HDD, crap! Go with Western Digital Caviar Black or Blue. I would skip the mechanical HDD and up the size of the SSD to 128gig. Can you put the prices in that you are planning to pay, that way I can tell you if there is a better option for the same price.

Gotta agree, just get a SSD and if you have a spare HDD around for storing main data use that.

Not sure about the CPU, haven't heard much about the 2400 version.

Back