Status
Not open for further replies.

pedenski

i own a brand new system with the following specs

MOBO: Gigabyte G31m-S2L
CPU: Intel Dual 2.20ghz
RAM: 2gb
VGA: Nvidia GeForce 8500GT 512mb

as of the moment, i play rainbow six vegas. The graphics are smooth, and can play quite well, but all those smoothness of the game can be experience only if I lowered all the effects, shadows, resolution, etc. it seems that i cant play high resolution game without having some laggy movements. Im wondering if buying 1gbVGA would make my gaming experience go smoother, considering maxing all quality effects of the game, or should i overclock? o,O?

hmm

1st question: wats the psu wattage on your pc?

2nd question:wat operating system are u running?

3rd question:wat is your exact intel brand of cpu(prosessor)?

other than those

the cpu could be upgraded to at least 2.5-3.0 ghz

the 2 gb of ram is good

the 8500gt is good 1 gb would be good but i need to know the stuff above before i can make a determination

in response to omegafate:

1. Im using 550 watts of PSU
2. Vista Ultimate ( coz, i heard vista has Direct X10 which is good for gaming )
3. im not sure about your question but here's what i see when i check dxdiag
my processor: INTEL(R) Pentium(R) DUAL CPU E2200 @ 2.20Ghz (2 CPUs), ~ 2.2GHZ

im baffled if I should go buy 1gb VGA or just Overclock? anyhow.. im not an expert, so I need godly advice. :)

PC games are very Video intensive and it is most likely your 8500 card is holding you back.

I see, looks like i have to start saving.. ^^
you see, im not quite computer literate type, but im just wondering what VGA should you recommend for me to use?

hi pedenski,512mb of video-ram is enough for "older"games like rainbow six.
1gb is only needed when playing 2008 titles like crysis and others,with every bit of eye-candy
turned on and in very high resolutions(1900x1200 and above).
it`s the lack of power your 8500 suffers from,get a better card like rage3k said.
the rest of your pc is quite sufficient I would say.
I enjoyed crysis farcry2 and so on with my 4850 card with (very)high settings in resolutions of 1200x960/1024x768 wich looks good on my old 19" monitor.

I see, looks like i have to start saving.. ^^
you see, im not quite computer literate type, but im just wondering what VGA should you recommend for me to use?

We've all been where you are at now. I had to learn and I am still learning. Both Rage and chrissof give good solid suggestions. Both are ATI cards which I myself prefer especially how ATI has really upped their quality.

However, in my last upgrade to my old socket 939 system I did go with an Nividia 9600 card because NewEgg.com was having a tremendous sale at that time on a Palit 9600 and it does quite fine though the ATI 4850 is a more powerful one (and it came out later). What I am saying is that if you do your research and watch you'll do fine with either ATI or Nvidia.

Keep checking NewEgg.com because they have daily deals and most likely by the time you've saved up enough $ you will be able to get a great video card for less than the asking price of today.

yes route44,you are right - both ati and nvidia have great cards.
I`m an ati "fanboy",but that is manly because at the time I bought new cards they had taken over the "performance crown"(from 9500 to 9800 to x800 to 4850)
but of course that changes with every new model team green and team red put to the market.
so you don`t have to bother about the brand - it`s more a "bang for buck" decision,but it should be at least a 4670(ati) or a 9800(nvidia) if you want to play modern games in moderate resolutions with some good image quality

both ati and nvidia have good cards

i do do recommend nvidia mainly cuz i deal with those most of the time lol

also u might wanna get a real dual core prosessor

all a pentium dual core is that is has and extra memory cache that makes it look like theres another core in it

that could be a good reason why to

depending on the hardware overclocking can actually hinder gaming

it has happened with me

thats why im not a big promoter of overclocking

omegafate said:
all a pentium dual core is that is has and extra memory cache that makes it look like theres another core in it
Untrue. You may be confusing the Pentium Dual-Core with the Pentium 4 HT. The Pentium Dual-Core series is based on the dual-core Allendale designs used for the Core 2 Duo E4xxx series.

thanks people.. i have learned so much, i think id be prolly consider buying what chrissof and route44 advice, although all of you did give some fantastic suggestions.. :) im planning to play crysis next week, I saw it on gamespot and it has an outstanding score from the review ..

thanks people.. i have learned so much, i think id be prolly consider buying what chrissof and route44 advice, although all of you did give some fantastic suggestions.. :) im planning to play crysis next week, I saw it on gamespot and it has an outstanding score from the review ..

Be warned: Crysis has driven high end systems to their knees. It is VERY GPU intensive (video card). The system demands are crazy.

If and when you want to upgrade post back. Pay attention to what Rage_3K_Moiz says because he has helped a lot of people here when they go to build, upgrade. He's helped me with good suggesions.

By the way, did you or someone else build your system or is it a pre-built system like an HP or Dell?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back