2 GB ram
    256 MB dedicated ATI grafix card
    160HDD

windows vista

it takes almost 3 minutes for everything to startup..its so slow

any idea what do i do??
  2. Frankie MS3

Frankie MS3 Newcomer, in training

theres a feature where you can restore your laptop to factory settings so that would be one way of speeding up your labtop, by starting from scratch. just make sure to back up your hard drive
    pretty sure when you start up your dv5t you press either f7 or f10 but you would need to double check beacuase im not 100 percent sure which command it is
  3. lamo

lamo Newcomer, in training Posts: 570

the idea is that you really should install Windows XP instead Vista.
  4. lamo

lamo Newcomer, in training Posts: 570

Frankie, the factory reinstalling - is not so good idea, 'cos there are many useless software, which comes with preinstalled Windows :)
  5. cj20032005

cj20032005 Newcomer, in training Posts: 55

I agree with lamo.

At least try to remove as much junk software as possible.
  6. hobilla

hobilla Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 40

i removed all junk soft n did all tht can b done with removing unecesary files n cleaning temp n desktop.

but still it requires more thn 2 mins to start, if not 3!

its a new laptop....

help guys please
  7. cj20032005

cj20032005 Newcomer, in training Posts: 55

What do you have starting when you turn the computer on? What type of software and how many processes? If you have software that is using a huge amount of memory, then your computer will be slow. And if you have a bunch of processes at start up your computer will slow down.

Another problem is Vista. You have 2gb of ram on a vista machine, you need more ram for Vista. Upgrade to at least 3gb or even 4gb. This will make a huge difference.

Also, try the 8 steps for viruses, spyware and malware. http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic58138.html

Good Luck
  8. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 5,899

Norton AntiVirus or Security Suite wouldn't be installed by any chance ?
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.