TechSpot

My HP530 laptop has a mysterious performance problem

By laros
May 22, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. I am using Windows XP SP3 on my laptop (1,6 GHz, 3 GB RAM, 20 GB free space).

The problem I ran into is the performance issue, after some time using the laptop it gets slower and then could get MUCH slower to a complete halt. I have checked it for viruses/malware but didn't find anything. For some reason the problem occurs from time to time, after several boots - it runs normally and works fine for several days or weeks till the next reboot. If the reboot was 'bad' it really starts getting slower when I open chrome browser and watch youtube videos.

After that task manager might show the CPU use - 100% all the time with programs like Skype or Chrome consuming more than 40% of its power (which is ridiculous).

Could it be a heating issue? Sometimes it gets hot enough so reboot doesn't work - it simply switches off during the booting. But again, after several reboots it works fine and swiftly for several weeks until next reboot is required.

I am confused.

Attached Files:

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,942   +167

Go ahead and save any important files, and do a fresh install of XP

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.