My IE7 has simply 'stopped'

Status
Not open for further replies.

emcee47

... and nothing I've done so far can get it up and running again. You'll gather I'm a bit of a dummy anyway, but I recently loaded Firefox next to IE7 to compare the two. They seemed quite comfortable sitting next to each other for a week or two and then IE suddenly stopped responding. Have tried uninstalling/reinstalling, checking the defaults in favour of IE but nothing seems to work. The message is always that IE 'cannot display the webpage'. I wouldn't be too fussed, given that I find Firefox so much quicker but I'm also running IncrediMail and have a lot of files saved under IE downloads which I now, of course, can't access. Sorry to start my time with TechSpot with a plea for help but I'm starting it with a plea for help! Any ideas anyone?

How to use Reset Internet Explorer Settings (RIES

To use RIES in Internet Explorer 7, follow these steps:

1. Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options.
2. On the Advanced tab, click Reset.
3. In the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box, click Reset.
4. When Internet Explorer 7 finishes restoring the default settings, click Close, and then click OK two times.
5. Close Internet Explorer 7. The changes take effect the next time that you open Internet Explorer 7.

Note for users who cannot start Internet Explorer 7 for some reason, use RIES from Internet Options in Control Panel.

Refer here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/community/columns/ietopten.mspx
For even more options

Thanks ...

Many, many thanks Kimsland for the speedy answer. Have followed the procedure but, unfortunately, it hasn't worked ... still getting the same error message. Anything else I could try?

This is a personal firewall issue I believe (Not Internet Explorer)

What Firewall are you using?
Have you tried turning off your firewall and re-testing ? (note: you may need to refresh again)
There was a report that ZoneAlarm stopped access to the Internet, if you have ZoneAlarm please uninstall it fully, then download the latest (which is working)

Also, have you run a full updated AntiVirus and/or Spyware scan?
There are many Malwares that can cause issues with Internet Explorer

Thanks again ...

... this time because it worked - partially at least. I have been using Bit Defender Total Security 2008 and, after turning the Firewall off, IE7 loaded with no problem. However, as soon as the Firewall was on again - no IE access yet again. It does appear that IE is approved on the list of approved sites in my Bit Defender files so I really don't know what else I can do here.
As I say, many thanks indeed Kimsland for even finding where the problem was but I guess I need to contact Bit Defender themselves to find out where the conflict is?

How are you accessing IE7 - a shortcut on the Desktop?

If so, 'search' for 'iexplore.exe' on your comp; right click on that and create a new shortcut and try that.

!

Not a lot else to say here ...... everything you've suggested has cured the problem after weeks of trying. Sure enough, I was using a shortcut for IE and, as soon as I took another one to the desktop from iexplore.exe, it's opened first time, every time, ever since. Don't know if you get paid for this - but, if you do, you're worth every penny! Many thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back