My internet connection keeps going off and I have phoned my service provider

my internet connection keeps going off and I have phoned my service provider to trouble shoot but it keeps on happening intermittantly. I have restarted my computer and then it goes back online.

We need a bit more information.

Is it wireless or do you connect with a cable to your router.

What version of windows are you using.

Is this a laptop or desktop with a built in wireless card or are you using a dongle.

Please provide the make and model of the PC.

Apart from that you have started this thread in the section for introducing yourself, it should be in Storage and Networking.

You may get moved but help will continue.

internet connection

We need a bit more information.

Is it wireless or do you connect with a cable to your router.

I am connected to a cable.

What version of windows are you using.

I am using windows 7

Is this a laptop or desktop with a built in wireless card or are you using a dongle.
I have a desktop I am not sure what a dongle is

Please provide the make and model of the PC.

Its an acer aspire x3400 home premium 64 bit

Apart from that you have started this thread in the section for introducing yourself, it should be in Storage and Networking.

You may get moved but help will continue.

Go into the Device Manager and click the > next to Network Adapters. Tell me what you see there and are there any yellow warnings or red crosses on any of the items.

internet connection

Go into the Device Manager and click the > next to Network Adapters. Tell me what you see there and are there any yellow warnings or red crosses on any of the items.[/QUwh

when I clicked device manager NVIDIA nForce 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet was displayed

OK, go back to Device Manager and right click on the Nvidia Ethernet device and select Uninstall, then reboot the computer and try your internet connection again.

If that fails to improve things find the reset button on the router and push it in with a bent out paper clip and hold it for about 30 seconds. Try the connection again.

If still no improvement follow this.

Click on Start and then type cmd into the Search box, as the pop up menu appears right click on CMD and select "Run As Administrator"

At the command prompt type ipconfig /all (include the gap before the /) and hit the Enter key.

Right click on the black space and select "Select All" then hit the Enter key.

Start a new post and then using a right click select Paste.

Yes, when you reboot, the driver will reinstall automatically. You could of course download the Ethernet driver from the PC's support site and save it to your desktop for peace of mind.

And, as you have a modem there is little you can do with that.

Post the ipconfig once you have done the driver reinstall.

Back