TechSpot

My internet is absolutely screwed, in desperate need of help

By scostilow
Jan 1, 2009
  1. Ok, basically every 5 minutes or so my internet will stop working as if it has lost its signal or has been unplugged from the router. I don't remember when this started but I know it didn't used to happen. I also know it's not the router b/c my laptop works fine on the internet with the wireless signal the router is emitting. I'm not sure if it's a problem with the ethernet card or if it is a software problem or if it is a settings problem with this desktop. All I know is that it is very annoying b/c I can't load any IM services or any online games without being disconnected every 5 minutes or less. Any suggestions? :-D

2. Ididmyc600

Ididmyc600 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,251

Hi

try changing the channel the wireless uses, ive seen posts on this before somewhere and it cleared random disconnections when done.

its in your router security config page, or at least mine is.

3. scostilow

scostilow TS Rookie Topic Starter

hmm.....

well...it's not the wireless that's the problem...it's the computer. It has to be...everyone else that has come over and used the wireless has been able to without any problem whatsoever. THIS computer is connected directly to the modem with an ethernet cord.

4. kasandera

kasandera TS Rookie

I had the same problem....go buy a new ethernet cord....that fixed it for me..

5. scostilow

scostilow TS Rookie Topic Starter

I've already tried that...it's not the ethernet cord. :-( We're taking it to Best Buy in the morning...hopefully the Geek Squad can help out...if not I don't know what to do...:-(

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.