My keyboard has stopped working

i have a toshiba sattelite laptop and when i went to use it after approx 2 months only the keys e,t,u,i,o and the numbers 1 & 2. i am hoping someone can please help me.

If your objective is simply to have a machine you can use...
have you tried an external keyboard?
.(usb or, ... depending on the age of the laptop, ... ps2?)

I am just trying to fix it up so i can sell it. i only bought it in february last year so its not that old. could it be just dust in it or a bigger problem?

<edited to remove comment - see reason>

@layman
Back to my first suggestion...
1. Try an external keyboard, so that you can do some work. See what happens.
2. Are there other problems (touchpad issues, etc)?
3. What were you doing when the keyboard stopped working?
4. Please tell me more about the laptop (model # and any additions / upgrades since purchase). Recent purchase - Win7 or Vista? Why had it not been used for two months?
5. open Device Manager
  • IN XP (May also work for vista, not sure): Right click on My Computer. Click on Properties. Click the Hardware tab, and then the Device Manager button.
  • OR For Vista
    • Click on Start and then Control Panel.
    • Click on the System and Maintenance link. (Note: If you're viewing the Classic View of Control Panel, you won't see this link. Simply double-click on the Device Manager icon and then proceed to Step 4.)
    • In the System and Maintenance window, click on the Device Manager link near the bottom of the window.
  • Do you have any devices listed with red "X" by or through the icon, or with a yellow "exclamation" or "triangle"?
  • If you do, (especially if it is your keyboard, but really with any of them), right click on it, and start taking notes. The error code you find under "Properties", on the "general" tab, will help us run things down.
  • Now Click the Details tab; you will find information that looks something like this...
    acpi\pnp0303\4&32d50c2&0
  • Write it down EXACTLY, and let me know this as well.

Back