My laptop lags when playing an online game!

Joeydav

Well when I run an online game (Runescape) it runs quite good until it freezes for 1-2 seconds, then goes back to normal. It does this every 5-10 minutes and causes me alot of problems.

My laptop is fairly new and I have just re-installed Vista, but the specs are:

- Processer - (Intel Pentium Dual 1.73 GHz)
- RAM - (2G)

From looking at my processor and RAM it looks like the game should be running fine, and when I try and run the game in high detail it just lags completely, please help I've been looking everywhere for this solution!

Do you have antivirus software installed? Try disabling that during gameplay, or at the very least disable auto-updates as a test. Same goes for windows updates. Also, close any other windows and programs you aren't using before playing, it might make a difference.

I have disabled my anti-virus and I never use the auto-updates and I've tried most things but nothing will fix it :(

Do you have the latest versions of Java and your Web Browser of choice?

The regular frequency that the problem is occurring still makes me think that something is checking/scanning/updating.

I have the latest version of java and mozilla firefox, my laptop is empty really, no music, pictures or anything really.

Assuming you have the keyboard keys required, press WIN+PAUSE (press the windows key and the pause/break key together). This'll open up the system properties. Click on the Hardware tab, then click device manager. From the Device Manager, expand Display adapters, and your graphics card should be listed there.

Okay it says;

- Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset Family

And by the way, the requirements to run the game in high detail are...
System requirements 256 MB RAM, 1.5 GHz CPU, Nvidia GeForce 3 or equivalent

yeah, I looked it up. You probably have a GMA x3100. Not sure if it would be an issue, but either way something seems to be running in the background causing a problem. Try running task manager (open through right clicking the taskbar, pressing CTRL+SHIFT+ESC, or CTRL+ALT+DEL and choosing task manager if it does not automatically open) and when the game freezes, try to see if there is anything using processing power besides your web browser (more than 5-10%).

Back