My laptop shuts down every time I start it.

By BHoSV
Mar 13, 2010
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi there,

The reason I'm posting this, is also the reason I've enlisted on this website.
    Since a few days, my laptop has been acting up.
    It all started when I forgot to run for my charge cable and the thing went dead (as all laptops would do if they'd run out of power). So I plugged it into my future electricity bill, and turned it back on. From that point on, **** hit the fan.
    Immediatly after entering my password, I got lots of error messages, that appeared as soon as they left, leaving me unable to watch it's contents. And it shut down immediatly after the 5th error message.
    I thought that there was a problem with the battery not being charged enough, so I left it alone for a while to charge a bit.
    After a few minutes, I tried to turn it back on, I then saw that my battery was fully charged again (very surreal, I know).
    So I watched a lot of error messages float by again, and saw my computer shut down again. After that, I turned my laptop on in Safe Mode, nothing bad happened. So I made Windows do a System Check at the next start-up.
    This took a while, but no problem was found.
    To end this long story. I haven't found the problem yet.
    I do have a hunch on it, it seems that up till now, my laptop only had this problem when my charging adapter was plugged in to the electricty-network.

If anyone can help me, please do so, for I do not want to be stuck with this problem anymore.

I've got a DELL Inspiron 1525 running on Windows Vista. I think it's about 2 years old.

I'll be looking forward to any advice you can give me.

P.S. I've noticed that my charging adapter does have a little damage on the cable running towards my laptop. But I don't see what a simple power cable damage can do software-wise and hardware-wise.
  2. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 12,113   +23

Being able to run in Safe Mode is a good indication that your issue is with drivers though we can't rule out hardware. Do you get any Blue Screens with error codes?
  3. BHoSV

BHoSV Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

So far, I haven't had any Blue Screens, or Blue Screen error codes.
    I discovered something yesterday, it seems that I only have the shutting down issues while it's plugged in to the power adapter. When it's running on it's battery, there seems to be no problem.
  4. BHoSV

:UPDATE

I've come across a new development. My mother-in-law has a DELL as well, with the same power adapter. Only hers isn't damaged at all. Now I've plugged hers into my laptop, and the problem doesn't occur at all anymore.
    I think I have to buy myself a new adapter, for this is proof enough for me.
    If you think I'm doing something "noobisch", please reply to this thread, or send me an e-mail with a message regarding this thread.
  5. Route44

No, nothing "noobish" at all. It sounds like you've discovered the issue at hand. Keep us up-to-date.
  6. BHoSV

Yesterday, I made the mistake of connecting the laptop to my own power adapter again.
    When I restarted my laptop, I got the message from the booting menu, that there was a problem with the initialisation of Windows. I had to insert my installation disc, and repair my computer.
    Luckily for me, no files were lost, and no hdd-damage was found. But it gave me a good scare.
    Now I'm definately sure it's due to my power adapter, or the input on my laptop for the power adapter.
    I can't think of any other explanation so far.

P.S. Thank you Route44, for being able to react that fast, and for helping me so far.
  7. Route44

Glad to help and throw away that adapter! :)
  8. BHoSV

Oh I will, no to find one that isn't too expensive. As a student here in The Netherlands, every cent counts.

Thanks again and whenever I've got a problem again, I'll post it on this site immediately.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.