My laptop shuts down every time I start it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there,

The reason I'm posting this, is also the reason I've enlisted on this website.
Since a few days, my laptop has been acting up.
It all started when I forgot to run for my charge cable and the thing went dead (as all laptops would do if they'd run out of power). So I plugged it into my future electricity bill, and turned it back on. From that point on, **** hit the fan.
Immediatly after entering my password, I got lots of error messages, that appeared as soon as they left, leaving me unable to watch it's contents. And it shut down immediatly after the 5th error message.
I thought that there was a problem with the battery not being charged enough, so I left it alone for a while to charge a bit.
After a few minutes, I tried to turn it back on, I then saw that my battery was fully charged again (very surreal, I know).
So I watched a lot of error messages float by again, and saw my computer shut down again. After that, I turned my laptop on in Safe Mode, nothing bad happened. So I made Windows do a System Check at the next start-up.
This took a while, but no problem was found.
To end this long story. I haven't found the problem yet.
I do have a hunch on it, it seems that up till now, my laptop only had this problem when my charging adapter was plugged in to the electricty-network.

If anyone can help me, please do so, for I do not want to be stuck with this problem anymore.

I've got a DELL Inspiron 1525 running on Windows Vista. I think it's about 2 years old.

I'll be looking forward to any advice you can give me.

P.S. I've noticed that my charging adapter does have a little damage on the cable running towards my laptop. But I don't see what a simple power cable damage can do software-wise and hardware-wise.

Being able to run in Safe Mode is a good indication that your issue is with drivers though we can't rule out hardware. Do you get any Blue Screens with error codes?

So far, I haven't had any Blue Screens, or Blue Screen error codes.
I discovered something yesterday, it seems that I only have the shutting down issues while it's plugged in to the power adapter. When it's running on it's battery, there seems to be no problem.

:UPDATE

I've come across a new development. My mother-in-law has a DELL as well, with the same power adapter. Only hers isn't damaged at all. Now I've plugged hers into my laptop, and the problem doesn't occur at all anymore.
I think I have to buy myself a new adapter, for this is proof enough for me.
If you think I'm doing something "noobisch", please reply to this thread, or send me an e-mail with a message regarding this thread.

No, nothing "noobish" at all. It sounds like you've discovered the issue at hand. Keep us up-to-date.

Yesterday, I made the mistake of connecting the laptop to my own power adapter again.
When I restarted my laptop, I got the message from the booting menu, that there was a problem with the initialisation of Windows. I had to insert my installation disc, and repair my computer.
Luckily for me, no files were lost, and no hdd-damage was found. But it gave me a good scare.
Now I'm definately sure it's due to my power adapter, or the input on my laptop for the power adapter.
I can't think of any other explanation so far.

P.S. Thank you Route44, for being able to react that fast, and for helping me so far.

Oh I will, no to find one that isn't too expensive. As a student here in The Netherlands, every cent counts.

Thanks again and whenever I've got a problem again, I'll post it on this site immediately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back