My laptop will not connect wirelessly to the internet

I have had my laptop for around a year and it has always connected to the internet both wirelessly and through the cable. Suddenly, for no apparent reason, about a week ago it stopped working.

All that I had done was turn on my "Guest Account" and download Skype. It worked for a few minutes after this and then stopped completely- if I hovered over the wireless connection on the bottom right of my screen, there is a big red cross and it tells me that there are no wireless networks available in the range.

We have another laptop which we use from the exact same location within the house and this connects no problem, it also finds another 7 or so wireless networks in the neighbourhood.

I know that there is not a problem with my router/modem as I can connect via my other computer. I have not done anything to the laptop except the installation above- I tried uninstalling this and turning off the Guest Account but still no joy.

I looked at other posts on here and tried some of the things suggested but still no joy.... I thought I would try to be clever also and think I have actually made this worse so that it is now beyond repair!! I know with most computer based things, uninstalling and reinstalling it can work... tried this and have now uninstalled my wireless network...cannot now find where it is to reinstall!

If you are able to give me suggestions to fix this, please treat me as a novice as although I know some things about computers, I really don't know enough to decipher some of the more technical terms! Thanks in advance

I have had my laptop for around a year and it has always connected to the internet both wirelessly and through the cable. Suddenly, for no apparent reason, about a week ago it stopped working.

All that I had done was turn on my "Guest Account" and download Skype. It worked for a few minutes after this and then stopped completely- if I hovered over the wireless connection on the bottom right of my screen, there is a big red cross and it tells me that there are no wireless networks available in the range.

We have another laptop which we use from the exact same location within the house and this connects no problem, it also finds another 7 or so wireless networks in the neighbourhood.

I know that there is not a problem with my router/modem as I can connect via my other computer. I have not done anything to the laptop except the installation above- I tried uninstalling this and turning off the Guest Account but still no joy.

I looked at other posts on here and tried some of the things suggested but still no joy.... I thought I would try to be clever also and think I have actually made this worse so that it is now beyond repair!! I know with most computer based things, uninstalling and reinstalling it can work... tried this and have now uninstalled my wireless network...cannot now find where it is to reinstall!

If you are able to give me suggestions to fix this, please treat me as a novice as although I know some things about computers, I really don't know enough to decipher some of the more technical terms! Thanks in advance

I assume you're using some sort of windows machine. Have you tried a system restore to a previous state when the OS used to work?
if not you should try that first by going to Programs>accesories>system tools> system re-store and select a time from when the laptop used to work fine.

Mm

Thank you for the post- I have now tried this and no joy... the only positive is that it is now showing my "Wireless Network Connection" again. I have restored to two different dates and neither have worked.

For a bit of extra info, if this helps- when I click on the wireless network on the bottom right of my screen the box pops up to choose a wireless network. In here, on my other laptop, I have a choice of around 8 wireless connections, on the one which has stopped working it says:

"No wireless connections were found in range

Make sure the wireless switch on your computer is on.
To see an updated list, click "Refresh network list""

Simple question- how would I check the wireless switch is on? (I assume it is as it has always worked before and I am not aware of any change I would have made to it but just in case I clicked something without realising it!)

Thanks

Yes it could be that you turn off your wireless by mistake. This is a function button on your laptop, ussually there is a symbol of an atenna by the "F keys". Depending on your laptop could be in F2 or F10 it deppends (look for the antena icon). If you see there is no wireless signals 99% of the time is because your wireless button is off.

here is a picture:
http://howtosolvethat.blogspot.com/2010/07/how-to-enabledisable-wifi-in-toshiba.html

Yes it could be that you turn off your wireless by mistake. This is a function button on your laptop, ussually there is a symbol of an atenna by the "F keys". Depending on your laptop could be in F2 or F10 it deppends (look for the antena icon). If you see there is no wireless signals 99% of the time is because your wireless button is off.

here is a picture:
http://howtosolvethat.blogspot.com/2010/07/how-to-enabledisable-wifi-in-toshiba.html
Oh My..I suddenly feel Very Blonde! I have been trying to fix my computer for 3 days & have spent countless hours on the phone with everyone. I completely forgot the darn wireless button (& so did Comcast, Netgear & Dell!) Hit the button & I'm Back!!!! Thank you!

That's easy to do. BTW, if you click on the
wireless connection on the bottom right of my screen
and see one or more systems, the switch HAS TO BE on; seeing none, it likely to be off :)

here is a picture:
OR, as in my case, it could be an actual switch on the side of the laptop that simply says on/off. NO antennae/icon.

Also, if you share the connection with others in the house/bldg (as in my case) just hope somebody didn't unplug the internet with out letting others know. It happened to me.:mad::confused::)

Last edited by a moderator:
My laptop is doing the same and I tried the wireless switch and still nothing. Just show no network conection. Any suggestions?
Thanks!

OK, I felt completely blonde once I figured out the problem. There's a button on the top row of my Dell. On mine it is the F2 key which also turns on & off wireless. I think my dog hit the button & I didn't realize it. Give that a try. Hope you don't spend 3 days getting it working & it is that simple!

Is a HP Pavillion dv9700. I had it for a while and was working fine then I stop using it for a while because the screen was messup and I was going to get it fix and a couple of days ago starting working fine, well the screen is amd everything alse except for when I want to conect to the internet.

Back