My Laptop won't connect to Wifi, but will connect with an Ethernet cord

Just to start off, I am COMPLETELY clueless and have no tech savvy whatsoever, so simple language would be appreciated :)

I've owned this laptop for a little over a year, and all this time I've been able to connect to Wifi without a problem. This morning the icon at the bottom left of the screen told me there was no Internet connection available. when I troubleshot it, it suggested using the Ethernet cord to connect. The Ethernet cord connects them fine, and the internet connection becomes available, but I'm still unable to use the Wifi.

This is an issue with my laptop, because all the other devices in my house are able to connect to the Wifi, and the modem is showing all the appropriate lights and such. I've tried turning it off and on again, but alas, this once that method has failed :/ I've also tried resetting the modem, and it made no difference.

Last night I was uninstalling various programs that I didn't need, and that's the only thing I've done differently to my usual computing habits. I don't think I removed anything unless I knew what it was, but it's possible I accidently removed something important. I don't know if that has any relevance or not, but it's all I can think of as the reason for this.

My laptop is a Toshiba Qosmio, and the system I use is Windows 7.

My modem is Telstra Bigpond.

Please help! D:

How far from the router are you? I experience the same thing occasionally on my laptop.
I usually have to switch the wifi switch off on the laptop & on then I reboot & I'm back online. My laptop & tower are both about 50' away & on the lower floor where the router is. Good luck. :)

learninmypc, thanks for the answer :) At first I was about four metres away, but then I moved closer so I'm right beside the router, and it still makes no difference. How do you switch the Wifi off on the laptop? I've tried restarting my computer, and it didn't work.

learninmypc, thanks for the answer :) At first I was about four metres away, but then I moved closer so I'm right beside the router, and it still makes no difference. How do you switch the Wifi off on the laptop? I've tried restarting my computer, and it didn't work.
I would suggest you go online, find the manual for it to locate the switch for it & go from there. Oddly enough, I booted mine up this morning & it connected no problem. Be patient, it'll work. :)

Cool ,glad to hear you are backup and running.Thanks for posting your fix . For your problem.

Hey I have this problem also my computer my computer says that it has no wireless devices installed and I can't find any wifi so I would use a cable if I had one I tried restarting my computer also didnt work I didn't try to delete any thing my computer is a toshiba satellite so please help

Hey I have this problem also my computer my computer says that it has no wireless devices installed and I can't find any wifi so I would use a cable if I had one I tried restarting my computer also didnt work I didn't try to delete any thing my computer is a toshiba satellite so please help

Update: I do not need help any more my adaptor some reason turned off but now I just want to know why?

Go to (In windows 7) control panel, double click "network and sharing center". Then click change adapter setting from left side of the window. Find your wireless network connection. then right click of the icon select and click the properties. then double click on "Internet protocol version 4 (TCP/IPv4)". select the "Obtain an IP address automatically", then click OK->OK->OK.

How far from the router are you? I experience the same thing occasionally on my laptop.
I usually have to switch the wifi switch off on the laptop & on then I reboot & I'm back online. My laptop & tower are both about 50' away & on the lower floor where the router is. Good luck. :)

I have the same problem as you , and also it happened after I was uninstalling unwanted programs
so whats the solution ? because I tried to put my IP address online and then put my username and password ( of the internet ) .
To check your wireless router and enable the option to broadcast the network ID (SSID), refer to the documentation that came with the wireless router or follow these basic steps:

1. Connect your PC to the network using a network cable, start Internet Explorer, and type the IP address for your wireless router (for example, 192.168.1.1 or 172.16.0.0).

2. Enter the user name and password to access the router settings. The documentation will contain the default user name and password.

3. On the wireless router page, look for a Wireless Settings option. Depending on the router manufacturer, this might be a tab, an icon or just an option in a task pane.

4. On the Wireless Settings page, look for an option to Enable SSID Broadcast or Wireless SSID Broadcast. Click the radio button or place a check in the box to enable this option, then save your router settings.

EXCEPT that the website told me I have entered a wrong username and password ( they are not not wrong , neither of them )

I have had my HP Pavilion17 sine Christmas and it has worked perfectly, but just this morning I was unable to connect to the internet. I decided to troubleshoot it to find out what was wrong. It says that I have to plug in the ethernet cable... The other laptop in my house does not need one and the wifi connects with no trouble on that one.

I don't understand why this is happening.

I have had my HP Pavilion17 sine Christmas and it has worked perfectly, but just this morning I was unable to connect to the internet. I decided to troubleshoot it to find out what was wrong. It says that I have to plug in the ethernet cable... The other laptop in my house does not need one and the wifi connects with no trouble on that one.

I don't understand why this is happening.
First off, this thread is old Oct 31, 2013, you should start a new thread.Secondly, there is a difference between wifi & ethernet. Wifi you'll need to find out the username/password even if others pc's/laptops are connected.

Hi iam also having this problem on two laptops one works hard lined not wifi nothing has been uninstalled the other laptop nothing works I have tested both in command testing ping to google but nothing it sends packets but can't receive them any ideas I have tried restore to a date they worked but didnt fix it

first laptop is a hp on windows 8
second is a acer on windows 7

I have a proble with my computer and wireless internet and it only works with the Ethernet cable. Please help me

My laptop is not detecting any wifi networks but connects to the Ethernet cable, I went on Device Manager and there is a yellow (!) on Network Controller once I tried to Update the Driver it didn't let me. Any help please :)

Back