My Laptop won't connect to Wifi, but will connect with an Ethernet cord

By Eloise
Oct 31, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Just to start off, I am COMPLETELY clueless and have no tech savvy whatsoever, so simple language would be appreciated :)

I've owned this laptop for a little over a year, and all this time I've been able to connect to Wifi without a problem. This morning the icon at the bottom left of the screen told me there was no Internet connection available. when I troubleshot it, it suggested using the Ethernet cord to connect. The Ethernet cord connects them fine, and the internet connection becomes available, but I'm still unable to use the Wifi.

This is an issue with my laptop, because all the other devices in my house are able to connect to the Wifi, and the modem is showing all the appropriate lights and such. I've tried turning it off and on again, but alas, this once that method has failed :/ I've also tried resetting the modem, and it made no difference.

Last night I was uninstalling various programs that I didn't need, and that's the only thing I've done differently to my usual computing habits. I don't think I removed anything unless I knew what it was, but it's possible I accidently removed something important. I don't know if that has any relevance or not, but it's all I can think of as the reason for this.

My laptop is a Toshiba Qosmio, and the system I use is Windows 7.

My modem is Telstra Bigpond.

Please help! D:
  2. learninmypc

learninmypc TechSpot Guru Posts: 4,566   +184

How far from the router are you? I experience the same thing occasionally on my laptop.
    I usually have to switch the wifi switch off on the laptop & on then I reboot & I'm back online. My laptop & tower are both about 50' away & on the lower floor where the router is. Good luck. :)
    Eloise likes this.
  3. Eloise

Eloise Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

learninmypc, thanks for the answer :) At first I was about four metres away, but then I moved closer so I'm right beside the router, and it still makes no difference. How do you switch the Wifi off on the laptop? I've tried restarting my computer, and it didn't work.
  4. Cobalt006

Cobalt006 TechSpot Addict Posts: 1,327   +95

Depending on the make or model. You may have a switch on the side. Some have a key on the keyboard that lets you turn the wifi on or off.
    Eloise likes this.
  5. learninmypc

I would suggest you go online, find the manual for it to locate the switch for it & go from there. Oddly enough, I booted mine up this morning & it connected no problem. Be patient, it'll work. :)
    Eloise likes this.
  6. Eloise

Eloise Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Cobalt006 thanks, mine was F6 :)

learninmypc Thanks for you help :) I figured out the problem, I think mine was a little different to yours. I'd accidently deleted a program or something that registered the Wifi... I don't even know. Anyway, I restored my computer to an earlier time, before the Wifi wasn't working, and now it's all back online.
    Cobalt006 likes this.
  7. Cobalt006

Cobalt006 TechSpot Addict Posts: 1,327   +95

Cool ,glad to hear you are backup and running.Thanks for posting your fix . For your problem.
  8. learninmypc

You're quite welcome. Glad you're back online.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.