My laptop won't power up

Status
Not open for further replies.
My laptop won't power up. The green light comes on, pilot light for the adapter, so long as I don't connect the lead to the laptop. If I plug the lead in to the laptop the green light goes out on the adapter. Any ideas?

Wondering if maybe the battery has gone bad.
Try unplugging the battery and see if it will run from the ac adapter alone.
Also ... Will it run from the battery alone?
What type (make and model) of computer?

laptop won't power up

No, the laptop won't run on battery alone or on AC adapter alone. It's a Dell Inspiron 1501. It was working when we left for a trip three months ago, but completely dead on our return. The battery would have gone flat: the electricity supply was switched off for the duration of our trip. Thanks, hope you can help, don't want to order a new battery and then find that is not the problem.

If I understand you correctly...
With the battery removed from the laptop, and the power supply plugged into the wall, but not into the computer, the power supply has a light that is on. But as soon as you plug it into the computer the light goes out?

1. Check the ac adapter for any kinks etc that might be a hint of damage to the cord... most likely between the little black box and the computer.
2. Even if the cable is in good condition, the power supply "could" be failing internally. Probably only a tech would be able to test its output (both voltage and power capacity).
3. Is there any sign of external damage to the computer, near the point where the cable plugs in, inside that "port", or any where else. (Inside... if the contacts have been damaged, there may be a "short" here.)
4. Do you know anyone else with the same model of computer. If so, try your power supply with their computer and vice-versa.

Short of damage to the computer itself...
My best guess at this point is that the power supply needs replacement.
I have noticed many people are reporting issues with the PSU for this model of laptop.

HTH

power supply failure

Thanks very much, you are the second person to advise me that the AC/DC power supply is most probably the culprit, so I've ordered anew one and am keeping my fingers crossed!
annandberry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back