Not open for further replies.
Hey all...

I am having problems starting up my laptop

The model is TOSHIBA Satellite 1110

When i start up the laptop, i am receiving a message similar to the one below:

'Realtek Ethernet Controller'
PXE ROM: Unable to Test Media, Check Cable
PXE ROM: Exiting ROM'

That is not the exact message but it is similar to the one i receive...

I have managed to start my computer once since first experiencing this problem but further attempts have failed...

Can anyone please help?

Many thanks,

Beartang007

The PXE ROM: Unable to test Media , check cable is a pretty good indicator that the hard drive has gone bad
That is an old computer and an old hard drive, right?
The more you try to boot, the greater the risk you will lose the data on it.
You can often (about 70% of the time) put the drive in a 2.5" USB enclosure and recover the data to another drive... but only if it still turns.
When it is failing you have increased risk that the drive will halt altogether, and you will never be able to recover the data.
The good thing is that hard drives have never been cheaper per megabyte than they are right now.

yes,it is old hard drive. i have been used a few years time never seem the poblem like this,i already check the cable but still can start up the window.but still can boot the window up,can you help,tell the way to fix my laptop,please help.

It appears your hard drive is worn out.
Replace it with a 40 GB for $36.99, an 80 GB for $52, 100 GB for $80, or a 250 GB for $90 - $100 at such places as www.zipzoomfly.com, www.directron.com, www.newegg.com, www.outpost.com, www.cdw.com

Plus shipping, of course

You will need your install CD's, which came with the computer.

You can rescue your data by putting the old drive into a USB enclosure and crossing your fingers... works about 70% of the drives.
You will need a #1 philips screw driver, a container of canned air, some 90% alcohol and some Q-tips. And some patience to make it through. It takes about 11 to 19 hours to fully repair and replace a laptop hard drive and get all the new software, utilities, and drivers installed.
But you will have a good time and learn a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back