My laptop's sound is gone

I have a sony vaio (a very old model) with windows xp. It was working fine until one day the sound was messed up. It was distorted, overlapping and all rough and bumpy. I don't exactly know why. I did some research and tried everything to fix it but nothing is working for me.
I uninstalled my realtek hd audio sound driver. It's frustrating. I don't know what driver I have to install.
I need help please. Please bring my sound back, god will bless u and this website :/
Here is some information regarding my sound device and drivers that I found through the 'dxdiag' thingy:
Device:
HD Audio Render
Drivers:
Name - HdAudio.sys
Version - 5.10.0001.5013 (English)
Date - 1/7/2005
WHQL Logo'd - Yes
Provider - Microsoft

If you need further information, let me know.
Please help me!!
Thanks in advance xx.

thnx for the reply :]
is my windows version xp? m sorry i suck at these things. could you or anybody else give me a download link or something so m sure m downloading the right thing.
i'll b really greatful thnx.

I can't give the direct link because one needs to do the Realtek "I agree" checkbox before you can get to their download links.

If you re-run dxdiag and look at the top, you'll see it display (so you can confirm) which version of windows you are running

just let us know if you still have any other questions or need help :)

I tired the link u gave me, it ends up saying that the drivers are not compatible so it doesn't continue the installation process.

I checked my system properties. Here are the details:

Microsoft Windows XP
Professional
Version 2002
Service pack 3

Intel(R) Pentium(R) M
processor 1.73 GHz
795MHz, 504 MB of RAM

Please please help me. I tried all the drivers but I can't find any that will run with my gay laptop. A link to the download, like the one you gave me,would be great! It was nice and easy and I didn't get lost :]

Thank you.

Hmmm.. OK.. then we really need the model number of your Sony Vaio.

Try these

1. Go to Sony eSupport site. Note on the site where you set your country then click the button to Detect My Model

2) If still needed, Sony also has a How do i locate my model number? link on their eSupport web page

Once you find the model, Sony should be able to point you to drivers for that model number. Or if you still need help, you'll need to post your model # in this thread

I have tried the sony site previously, it was useless because they weren't even able to detect my model. But yes, I know where my model number is located on this laptop and it's:

SONY VAIO PCG-7G2L
VGN-FS830/W

I visited the website you gave me and followed the steps. I found the driver and installed it and my sound CAME BACK! BUT, it's the same old distorted overlapping rough type of sound. What should I do about that? Is there a setting or something I need to adjust? The sound is distorted everywhere, including internet videos, default laptop sounds like logging on and off, all my music saved on the laptop are also played distorted.. I don't know what to do now about this distortion. Please help me :/

1) You might also try DriverEasy to identify your audio device and provide the latest driver. (Create a system restore point before trying to install it)
>> Downloads are slow on free version but can usually use the info it tells you to find it yourself and download it yourself from the vendor website

2) Also "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". DriverEasy may list multiple drivers. Don't update everything it finds. just audio. (ask if you have any question). Sometimes it notifies you of Beta versions of drivers which you

3) If you find a list of drivers on your vendor site, you might also go backward to the prior version and try it

Otherwise, you're best to post a new thread about your problem (Poor quality sound and be sure to state you've tried updating the drivers already. ) maybe some one else might have a suggestion for that particular issue.

Good gluck!

If ALL sounds are distorted, it's possible that the speaker unit has gone faulty. To prove that, plug in some headphones, use the PC with them on; is the sound still distorted?... Or is it OK? The headphones replace the speaker this way, and this might save you a lot of time !!

thanks for the replies.
'lookingaround' I will try the driver website u gave me.
Mike, i have had my headphones in, it's the same thing... But thanx for your suggestion too.
I'll keep you guys updated!

Back