My mainboard sees 1GB module as 512MB

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought 2 Kingston DDR2 667Mhz PC25300 Dimms 1GB each.
I installed them in my ASRock 775Dual-880Pro Mainboard and the Bios recognizes them as 512MB each.The same thing happens in WinXP.What can I do?
P.S. I ran the Sisoft Sandra 2009 Dignostic Program and it found that I have 2 Dimms of 1GB each!

Not uncommon in ASRock boards. When do you get when you test one module, then the other?
Borrow two modules to test, but if the results are the same, it is usually the board.
Sometimes a reset by removing the CMOS battery, and waiting an hour or less before reinstalling will work. Sometimes updating the BIOS or Chipset will fix it.
But be aware that the problem could worsen at exactly the wrong moment. Who knows whether other components or software could be harmed?

Before those two modules I used a Super Talent DDR2 PC5300 1GB wich was ok.
Then I bought one of the pair of Kingston and tried it with the Super Talent.The result was that the Bios said I had two modules, one with 1Gb (the Super Talent Module) and the other with 512Mb (the Kingston module). I thought that this was because the brand was not the same, so i bought a second Kingston. But when I put the two Kingstons together the Bios recognized them as 512Mb each as I said before.
I also tried installing one Kingston at a time, with the same result: Total memory=512Mb
I also removed the CMOS batt waited for about 5 minutes and reinstalled with no difference. The only thing left to do is update the BIOS but i am a little affraid I might cause a permanent problem

Is this the troublesome Kingston Value Ram that you have? It is known for this problem in many shops.
I would think that the next thing to do would be to try other memory.
There is fake Kingston memory out there. There are production runs that produce failed memory, though Kingston usually catches them.
I would not want to update the BIOS or make other fixes until I had tried different memory.
Kingston has a lifetime warranty most places, so it should not be difficult to replace with Buffalo, Crucial, Hynix, Mushkin, Corsair, OCZ, Patriot, or so on.

Thank you Kcircyrd for your quick reply.
What do you think about the fact that a diagnostic program running through Windows recognizes correctly the two modules??? Doesn't that mean that the two Kingstons are ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back