My monitor is brighter on the right side than on the left side

monrayl

Hi, I have a CTL 17" LCD monitor. This morning I turned on my pc and found that the left side of my monitor is darker than the right side. Any idea as to what the problem could possibly be?

I don't know which orientation the tubes have, but if it is vertical, the tubes on the left may be on their way out. Most LCD monitors unless specifically advertised otherwise (ie - LED) use fluorescent tubes for the backlight.

So, I'd say it is on its way out and there is nothing you can do to fix it short of just replacing it. The left side may brighten to normal after being on several minutes/hours. Did you notice if that happened the longer you had it on?

Actually, I noticed that the left side flickered once or twice after being on for about 45mins. Is the cost of replacing the tubes expensive?

I don't believe that there is an aftermarket for the backlit bulbs on monitors. You'll likely be replacing the whole monitor.

I prefer Samsung over other models, but you're welcome to look for a low price vs. good quality. Most LCD displays are a Samsung display with other manufacturers electronics. so there is room to save money if you don't need every bell and whistle.

I wouldn't mess around with cracking open your now dying LCD monitor and trying any type of fixes! Inside a monitor can be a scary place for those who don't know exactly what their doing. Plus thumbing about the inside of your monitor can be dangerous as well. I'll just reaffirm what 9Nails has said here, "You'll likely be replacing the whole monitor", which I feel is your safest bet!

Buying new = factory warranty!
Fixing it yourself = 50/50 proposition!

Yes, the fluorescent tubes are high voltage and they are very delicate. You can't handle them with bare fingers. My Samsung SyncMaster 245bw's tubes are on the top and bottom. I have replaced backlights, but I prefer to replace the whole LCD panel when I can. LCD computer monitors have come way down in price. 4 years ago, my 24" SyncMaster did cost over $500

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I never expected the lifespan of a LCD monitor to be so short. Oh well, perhaps its time to upgrade to an LED! :D I hope I can find some place that'll be able to replace the LCD panel. Otherwise I'll have to fork out some cash and buy a new monitor. Anyway, I'll let y'all know what I decide. Thanks again.

I would just like to recommend one thing. If and when a new monitor is purchased, why not treat yourself right and go up in size! 15 and 17 inch monitors are great for people who might have limited desk space and all. But why not go up to something within the 20's, 22, 24 and so on. I operate 2 matching 22 inch monitors and love the size, not to small, not to big, just right for me.

Might just be worth something to check out!

My Samsung Syncmaster [FONT=Calibri]SM-245BW was purchased on [/FONT][FONT=Calibri]24/07/2007and threw in the towel today July 2nd 2012 just shy of 5 years. I have ordered an Asus 24" LED to replace it. All this 60 000 hours is just twaddle and means nothing. I knew that the panel was a cheap one at the time and pretty much expected about five years out of it. not unhappy with Samsung.[/FONT]

Back