My monitor reflects images displayed on screen.

By erwin1978
Jul 14, 2002
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I've had problems with my 1 year old, 19" Pixie monitor and Pixie finally decided to give me a new replacement. I just received it in the mail and I was surprised that this one was a flat screen. One thing I noticed immediately is that when the monitor is off, so I can see my reflection on the glass, I see a double reflection of myself and it's magnified. I didn't think much of it and figured that's how all flat screen monitors are. Tonight I noticed that everything displayed on screen has a reflection just behind the layer where the phosphor layer is. At first I thought it was the electron gun not able to create a sharp image and was creating this fuzzy haze along borders. With careful investigation I noticed it was because the images were being reflected off the glass layer nearest me and bounced back to the inner glass. It's clearly evident when viewed with a black background.

Has anyone else noticed this problem with their flat screen monitors?

One thing I learned from my investigation is that, monitors and televisions generally have rounded screen because the tube is a vacuum. In order to keep the tube from imploding you make the walls of the tube rounded, like an arc of a bridge. Flat screen monitors are really rounded; only they're rounded in the inside.
  2. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,304   +52 Staff Member

Yeah, flat screens are curved on the inside. It uses extra glass too, and that's probably why they are so heavy. :) My monitor weighs 80lbs. It's like picking up a bag of conrete.

I own a 22" NEC aperture-grille, flat screen with a Mitsubishi Diamondtron tube. I haven't experienced what you have described. I haven't had any problems with the picture actually.

Do you suppose this has something to do with the glare coating on your monitor? I have noticed that light glares are somewhat doubled in my screen when it is turned off. The actual picture does not suffer from this though.
  3. erwin1978

erwin1978 TechSpot Maniac Topic Starter Posts: 327

I think the outer glass isn't 100% transmissive and has a mirror effect(probably roughened a bit) and thus bounces the images back inside the tube to a certain degree.

When I saw my reflection it almost looked like a hologram.
  4. StormBringer

StormBringer Newcomer, in training Posts: 2,871

Try to reduce the glare in the room. Turn the lights off and see if it is still there. You might also try a glare filter, though I don't like them personally.
  5. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,304   +52 Staff Member

Sounds like you got a good deal then.. The worlds first holographic monitor! :eek:
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.