My monitor reflects images displayed on screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

erwin1978

I've had problems with my 1 year old, 19" Pixie monitor and Pixie finally decided to give me a new replacement. I just received it in the mail and I was surprised that this one was a flat screen. One thing I noticed immediately is that when the monitor is off, so I can see my reflection on the glass, I see a double reflection of myself and it's magnified. I didn't think much of it and figured that's how all flat screen monitors are. Tonight I noticed that everything displayed on screen has a reflection just behind the layer where the phosphor layer is. At first I thought it was the electron gun not able to create a sharp image and was creating this fuzzy haze along borders. With careful investigation I noticed it was because the images were being reflected off the glass layer nearest me and bounced back to the inner glass. It's clearly evident when viewed with a black background.

Has anyone else noticed this problem with their flat screen monitors?

One thing I learned from my investigation is that, monitors and televisions generally have rounded screen because the tube is a vacuum. In order to keep the tube from imploding you make the walls of the tube rounded, like an arc of a bridge. Flat screen monitors are really rounded; only they're rounded in the inside.

Yeah, flat screens are curved on the inside. It uses extra glass too, and that's probably why they are so heavy. :) My monitor weighs 80lbs. It's like picking up a bag of conrete.

I own a 22" NEC aperture-grille, flat screen with a Mitsubishi Diamondtron tube. I haven't experienced what you have described. I haven't had any problems with the picture actually.

Do you suppose this has something to do with the glare coating on your monitor? I have noticed that light glares are somewhat doubled in my screen when it is turned off. The actual picture does not suffer from this though.

I think the outer glass isn't 100% transmissive and has a mirror effect(probably roughened a bit) and thus bounces the images back inside the tube to a certain degree.

When I saw my reflection it almost looked like a hologram.

Try to reduce the glare in the room. Turn the lights off and see if it is still there. You might also try a glare filter, though I don't like them personally.

Originally posted by erwin1978
When I saw my reflection it almost looked like a hologram.

Sounds like you got a good deal then.. The worlds first holographic monitor! :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back