My monitor switches between Analog and Digital while black

I've had this problem for a while now. I have absolutely no idea what's causing it. At first it was occasional, then it increased in frequency, and now it's all it does. I'm at a point where I can't even use my home computer.

When I start my pc, everything sounds like it's working fine. All fans run, video card fires up, no strange noises. But nothing ever comes up on my monitor.

It stays black with a sign in the upper left corner that flashes between Analog and Digital. It does that for a few seconds, then it goes completely black and the power button flashes, like it's in sleep mode.

I recently replaced my motherboard with a new one (same board, just new), also replaced my processor last night. Still the same issue.

Here's my list of hardware, running Windows Vista 32-bit

Motherboard - Asus M2A-VM AM2 (new)
Processor - AMD Athlon 64 x2 (new)
Video Card - nVidia GeForce 9800 GX2
Memory - 2x G Skill 240 Pin DDR2 2gb (4gb total)
Monitor - Samsung 22' monitor

Any help on this issue would be much appreciated. I've been struggling with it for months, it would be nice to not think about it anymore lol

Most of the 22" Samsungs have both D-Sub and DVI connectors, might also help to know how you have the monitor connected to the 9800 GX2. Assume that you've already checked the power saver settings to ensure that it isn't an issue.

The power saver settings aren't the issue.

I'm using a DVI (Analog + Digital) connector from the master output on the 9800 to the DVI in on the monitor.

Got it, sounds like you're using a standard DVI-I single link cable for the connection. If you happen to have a DVI to VGA adapter and the appropriate cable it might worth seeing if the symptoms are the same on the DB15 monitor connector. If you have HDMI input on the monitor that would work as well, just trying to see if the symptoms are the same regardless which input connector you select on the monitor.

That makes sense. I don't know if I have a DVI - VGA cable or adapter but I have a box full of left over DB15 cables here at work. I'll grab one of those, unplug my graphics card and plug the db15 right from the motherboard into the d-sub on the monitor.

If the graphics card is the problem then theoretically this should work. I'll post later today with the result.

Right on, basically just trying to determine if we've got a bad input on the monitor and have a quick workaround ... but that would probably be too easy.

Hey guys, I am having exactly the same problem.. and it's gradually getting worse. I'm very computer illiterate. Is there a simple way I can fix this? Driving me nuts.

Disconnect and reconnect cable to monitor. Substitute different connection cables. If problem persists, check device manager for 'error' conditions. If it still persists, start new topic and describe in detail.

Back