my monitor won't display anything! i just built a new pc.

By true.asian
Oct 26, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. i have an asus a7m266-d motherboard with no usb ports on it.
    -2 mp 2000 processors at 266mhz fsb
    -nvidia fx5500 256mb
    250 gig hard drive

monitor wont display anything and i desperately need help :(. this is the first pc i built and i want it running.
  2. Rik

Rik Banned Posts: 4,985

Does it fire up at all??? Do you get any beeps??? What ram have you put in it???
  3. true.asian

true.asian Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

it fires up. it doesn't beep at all. but when i remove the ram just to see it will beep, it still doesn't. i put a 256 in slot one and a 128 in slot 2

but it still looks like it runs really smoothly but it seems like it wont communicate with the monitor.
  4. Rik

What speed are the 2 ram sticks???

You could try clearing the cmos!!! Your mobo manual will tell you how to do it!!!!
  5. triiifashions

triiifashions Newcomer, in training Posts: 176

turn your moniter off then back on after starting for a few seconds

my moniter doesnt turn on till the windows logo
  6. true.asian

i want to clear the cmos but i dont know how because i dont have the mobo manual :(
  7. cfitzarl

cfitzarl TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,520   +9

Open up your case, (always ground yourself and unplug the computer) and look for a lithium battery on the motherboard. Remove it for a few seconds, and put it back in. What kind of power supply do you have? Do you know the number of watts and the ampere rating?
  8. true.asian

i have a 420w power supply and it requires 400w

weird thing is, i dont get any beeps even though there isn't any memory. does that mean my motherboard is fried?
  9. Rik

It means it's either the mobo or the processor that's at fault then!!!!
  10. true.asian

damn this is the worst thing that has happened to me.
  11. true.asian

can the mobo still be fried and power can still run through it and it looks like it runs fine?
  12. Rik

There are hundereds if not thousands of components on a mobo, one can play up and allow the rest to work!!!!!
  13. RUDEBWOY

RUDEBWOY Newcomer, in training Posts: 394

i had this same problem this week where the monitor wasnt turning on with my duo core 2 processor it was my 3 gig ram one of them was faulty so had to be changed...it didnt even do the beep sounds that it should

14. AXXEL

AXXEL Newcomer, in training Posts: 50

It sounds odd that you get no error beeps when you take the ram off. This happened to me with my computer, i had to change the MOBO and the Power supply. (this was also my first time, IT WAS HELL) In all after changing the MOBO every thing worked fine.

Change the MoBo and see if thats the problem.
  15. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,067   +13

please read the no POST guide
  16. sw123

sw123 Newcomer, in training Posts: 752

Well, actually, the same thing happened to me, but I was using different parts.

Have you connected your 4-pin ATX12V cable? If not, that is most likely causing the problem.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.