My Network Places Icon disappears

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in search of a solution to a very annoying problem. The My Network Places Icon disappears randomly; it reappears on its own randomly with no action. It will also reappear if you right-click on the desktop and refresh or do a Windows restart. How can I prevent the icon from disappearing and stay on the desktop? Please help. Thank you.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{7007ACCF-3202-11D1-AAD2-00805FC1270E}]
@="Network Connections Tray"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{7007ACCF-3202-11D1-AAD2-00805FC1270E}\DefaultIcon]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{7007ACCF-3202-11D1-AAD2-00805FC1270E}\InProcServer32]
@="C:\\WINNT\\system32\\NETSHELL.dll"
"ThreadingModel"="Both"

Still disappearing

I have deselected the icon and hit apply and the icon went away. I then reselected the icon and once again hit apply and the icon appears but soon the icon disappears and reappears on its own. I also tried the tweakui site to enable/disable desktop icons and it does the same. I verified that I did in fact have the registry keys in my registry that you had listed.

I know this is quite an old post, but I have been having the same exact issue out of the blue. My Network Places icon started disappearing by itself, randomly and the only way to bring it back was to do a refresh which got old fast.

As suspected, the culprit was a virus. I ran my Trend Micro utility and it found a trojan that I promptly deleted and the issue went away. Hopefully that fixes your issue too if you haven't done away with it already.

I had been struggling with this same issue for about 6 months on 2 PC's and decided yesterday to spend some time to figure it out. To make a long story short I found that the solution, for me at least, was to go to Add or Remove Programs from Control Panel, select Add/Remove/Windows Components and then uncheck the box next to Network Services and reboot when prompted. I was wondering if I would lose any network functionallity but everything still works just fine for me and no more disappearing My Network Places icon.

Hi All,
I had the same problem "My Network Places" disppears almost every 30 sec. As suggested by Arjayar, I removed the Network services from the Windows components (Add or Remove Programs from Control Panel, select Add/Remove/Windows Components). Then my (naturally) I could not access internet or Workgroup. I re-installed the network services and things are back to normal, no more "My Network Places" disppears or toggles!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back