My Network Places

By chocobogo_rct
Feb 6, 2003
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Is there a way of stopping XP to "kindly" be adding all the shared folder on the LAN under "My network places"
    e.g
    Files on Craig
    Files on Tim
    Games on Kip
    Music on Kip

not only does it slow the process down but I dont want all the available shares to be listed there, i use that for FTP access!

Cheers
  2. ---agissi---

---agissi--- TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,382   +15

No I dont believe you can stop this, but I dont think I quite understand your question. Do you not want the shared folders to be under "My Network Places"?
  3. chocobogo_rct

chocobogo_rct Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 108

not particularly as I can access the individuals shares by looking at their computer, we have a network of approx 10 machines all with many shares so i was just wondering if there was a way of telling XP not to list all the available shares
  4. young&wild

young&wild TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,268

If you access each work station one by one through the "My Network", inorder see shared folders in that specific workstation. Is thtat what you want?
  5. chocobogo_rct

chocobogo_rct Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 108

no i know how to do that, its just in My Network places i dont want it to list all the available shares on all the available machines! I just want it to show my FTP folders!
  6. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,411   +281

I think he doesn't want this:
    [​IMG]
    See how it shows the folders I've been to? That is what I believe he wants gone, leaving only ftp.
  7. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 Newcomer, in training Posts: 6,504

you can delete shortcuts to shares you have accessed which are in network places by highlighting and deleting.
  8. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

Registry has some keys that may affect it, like
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Explorer \ NetworkCrawler \ Objects \ WorkgroupCrawler
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.