My new fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitko

1 day i turned on my pc and my CPU fan wasn't working well (it was barely spinning) and somehow my motherboard got fried :O

We went to a service where they fix computers and the guy replaced my old fan with a new one that is really noisy, especialy when booting. Is that any good?

All of a sudden it became even more noisy than before, sometimes when i touch my pc it's like vibrating and now i'm worried if something bad might happen again :/

Is there anything wrong with my fans or it's just normal. Btw, i'm sorry if this is the wrong board to ask for help.

Thanks. :)

CPU fan?

Because we don't really know you, I'd just like to confirm that we're talking about the same thing here.

CPU fan as in the fan inside the case cooling specifically the CPU, or just one of the fans in the box?

And when this guy replaced the fan, did he replace the heatsink?

CPU fan?

Because we don't really know you, I'd just like to confirm that we're talking about the same thing here.

CPU fan as in the fan inside the case cooling specifically the CPU, or just one of the fans in the box?

And when this guy replaced the fan, did he replace the heatsink?
When we went to the repair place, he said we've replaced your motherboard with a new one and we got you a new fan too (Yes, it's the CPU one replaced) So i guess that's all that is replaced.

I also forgot to mention that the fans are all spinning normal, it's just the noise.. Could it be from the dust or i will need to oil them or something.

Generally you wouldn't need to oil any fan, especially if they're new. Personally I've never oiled any fan, and have yet to encounter problems with any, but there's a recent thread here somewhere which recommends you to oil your fans.

First, you'd need to figure out which fan is the one thats causing all the noise. Usually, the smaller the fan, the noisier it is. Given you've just got a new motherboard, I'm going to assume there's a new fan on your motherboard, and its giving you alot of noise. If this is the case, you're gonna need to do some modifications to your motherboard (changing the heatsink + fan) which isn't really for someone who doesn't know what they're doing.

If its the CPU (and please be absolutely sure you know what you're talking about here) fan thats making all the noise, you may be able to just replace the fan, or you might need to get a whole new heatsink with it. We'll go into details once you get back to us on this.

If luck is on your side, and its one of the case fans (the ones on the box), all you need to do is buy a same sized fan and replace it (they come in 80mm and 120mm, and some weird sizes. Grab a ruler...). Main thing to worry about there would be which way the fan is blowing. You should be able to tell from the blades, if not, just wave a piece of paper in front of it and see if its getting pushed. Some fan manufacturers will note how loud it is (in dB), and you'd want this as low as possible. As for everything else, I won't be worried (voltage, amps, cfm.... minor details since they're either standard, or wouldn't concern someone who isn't pushing their computer to the limits)

As far as the HUGE amount of noise it creates when starting up, thats not an issue, and a lot of components might do that (my graphics card does), and its normal.

About the vibration, is that vibration on all the time, or only when it boots? If its all the time, its probably one of the fans on the case.

Thank you for the help. :) Now i know what to do and if i can't do it myself i'll try and get someone that knows what he's doing. ;)

We can still try to figure out whats wrong, and if you need more help. Most of the stuff can be done at home by a 12 year old kid; I just don't want to tell you something, and you end up breaking your computer beyond repair, thats all :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back