My new gaming PC, help

Status
Not open for further replies.
So heres the thing, it has been about 5 years since I last built computer.
I was cruising through google searching for mobo info. and happened upon this nice little site here I read a couple of forums and decided to join. you guys seem so helpful that I thought I would ask reccomendations as to my entire system.

As of right now im planning on spending between $600 and $900 dollars.

I know I want to go with a quad core CPU but as of yet have not decided which model. I would also like an after market CPU cooling fan.

the mobo people keep telling me nforce is the way to go. I would like dual graphic cards, built in sound is fine.

like i said i havent built a rig in about 5 years so i have no idea to whats good or not w/ graphic cards

As for ram and memory im open to suggestions.

this system has to put fallout 3 's spec to shame (hopefully) and stand up to diablo 3 when that comes out 3 years from now or so. so i would like a system thats goin to last. in advance thx for the help.

seems stupid not to ask i had my eye on a nice case. but I am looking for a well vented box so if you have any suggestions as to that lmk.

Ok. For a system to last you well for about three years without an upgrade I think you'd have to shell out at least $1000. These would be my suggestions:

Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz - $199.99
MSI P55-GD65 LGA 1156 - $154.99
G.SKILL 2 x 2GB DDR3 1333 - $94.99
CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W - $98.99
COOLER MASTER RC-690 - $69.99
SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 5850 1GB - $309.99

Total - $928.99 (excluding HDD and optical drive)

You'll be able to save about $50 id you go along with the AMD Phenom II 955 BE and an AMD motherboard instead of Intel.

(I've presumed that you're going to be playing some very graphically intensive games like Crysis along with Fallout 3, etc. If not, and if you're willing to play at lower resolutions, you may not need a system this powerful.)

Thanks Ritwik thats actually a very nice set-up I like everything I saw. I gues my only question would be would you recommend the Radeon GPX card by itself over 2 lesser cards?

p.s thanks BAB I have checked most of those out.

i just came in to inject the ff vii is awesome.nanaki is the coolest!

now for on topic i would get at least 6 gig ram if you're going to keep it for another 3-5 years.

yeah i think im goin to go with modding my own case havent tried it yet looks like it would be fun : )

let me ask would you go with the core i7 over this core i5 or should I stick with the core i5

let me ask would you go with the core i7 over this core i5 or should I stick with the core i5
Nah, not exactly worth the extra money, especially when your budget is $600 - $900. The extra performance is minimal.

I guess my only question would be would you recommend the Radeon GPX card by itself over 2 lesser cards?

Depends on which lesser cards. Also factor in power consumption.

now for on topic i would get at least 6 gig ram if you're going to keep it for another 3-5 years.
6GB is not a good idea as the i5s don't have a triple channel memory controller. 4GB should suffice for most purposes. If not, consider 8 GB.

I rather fancy that pair of ram over a 3x2 kit, and marginally better than the one Ritwik7 posted, at a similar price: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM - Retail
Aside from that I would use everything he mentioned, aside from the case.

I too like the Ripjaws HK. But will there be a significant performance difference? Also, any reasons why you don't like the CM 690 case?

I too like the Ripjaws HK. But will there be a significant performance difference? Also, any reasons why you don't like the CM 690 case?
Performance difference? Probably minor.
Also, theres nothing wrong with the case, I just don't really like the look, its a good case.

I like the case just looking for a bit of a project I guess and I've seen so cool mods. so i decided why not try it out and see how it goes.

but I do have one question about that...

I plan to put 12 maybe 13 fans (all but 5 LED)in total on the case and dual uv cold cathode 12"
do i need an extra source of power?

the fans will be placed as listed, on the front im going to mount a turbine fan 2 120mm fans 1 led . on the side I plan to have 4 on the left side one on each corner 80mm all led. I want to mot one on the top but im goin to find a puple uv reactive fan 120 mm. 2 in the back none led. and 1 on the right side behind mobo.

the other 2 are the cpu fan which I am going to mount a heat sink on (suggestions?), and the fan thats on the Video card.

I would like to hear what you guys think about, which should be exhaust and, which should be intake. the turbine on front is going to be intake im pretty sure.

also would you recommend a fan on the bottom or anywher else I know im already on overkill but I have a picture in my head and i think its goin to turn out great.

okay, just my opinion here, however.
there is not system on the planet in the range of $699-$900 that needs anything approaching 12 fans unless you
A) are just going for bragging rights (with fans)
B) want your computer to sound like the runway at LAX
C) need to blow dry your hair from the exhaust fan
D) plan on the worst wire management in the history of desktop computing.
E) Going for 5.0 Ghz on air

okay, just my opinion here, however.
there is not system on the planet in the range of $699-$900 that needs anything approaching 12 fans unless you
A) are just going for bragging rights (with fans)
B) want your computer to sound like the runway at LAX
C) need to blow dry your hair from the exhaust fan
D) plan on the worst wire management in the history of desktop computing.
E) Going for 5.0 Ghz on air

well actually the front fan is 2 fans hooked together, then 4 80mm fans on the side (for looks more then anything) two rad fans in the back. one on top, fan and the cpu

so really its 10, its a full tower case and I do plan to expand the system. tech. speaking if you counted the front as 1 fan im installing 8 all together and the 6 80 mm fans will all run to one connector so wires will all be hidden no problem. they will also be installed with grommets which will quiet them considerable.

and yes im doing it for eye appeal.

well actually the front fan is 2 fans hooked together, then 4 80mm fans on the side (for looks more then anything) two rad fans in the back. one on top, fan and the cpu

so really its 10, its a full tower case and I do plan to expand the system. tech. speaking if you counted the front as 1 fan im installing 8 all together and the 6 80 mm fans will all run to one connector so wires will all be hidden no problem. they will also be installed with grommets which will quiet them considerable.

and yes im doing it for eye appeal.

just giving you the needle Nanaki :)

for that system yes, fans take very little wattage/Amps, even with the LED's ....trust me, im in the LED business. I would just make sure that whatever PSU you purchase is of high quality.

Red

let me ask you one final ? im makin a modded case starting with a addtronics 6890a its going to be black w/ purple flake the problem I am having is finding fans with purple led is it possible to change the color of a led in a fan?

ive found 80mm but 120s i cant find I might end up going with some uv reactive 1's I found. But I would just like to know.

Ok. For a system to last you well for about three years without an upgrade I think you'd have to shell out at least $1000. These would be my suggestions:

Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz - $199.99
MSI P55-GD65 LGA 1156 - $154.99
G.SKILL 2 x 2GB DDR3 1333 - $94.99
CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W - $98.99
COOLER MASTER RC-690 - $69.99
SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 5850 1GB - $309.99

Total - $928.99 (excluding HDD and optical drive)

You'll be able to save about $50 id you go along with the AMD Phenom II 955 BE and an AMD motherboard instead of Intel.

(I've presumed that you're going to be playing some very graphically intensive games like Crysis along with Fallout 3, etc. If not, and if you're willing to play at lower resolutions, you may not need a system this powerful.)
If you want to save some money:
- I think a VX550 will be more than enough to feed this system. You can save about 10~15 dollars.
- I don't know a lot about motherboards, but maybe, a less expensive MB will suit him well. -20~30 dollars.

Or/And you could build a AMD based system, with something like:
- Phenom X4 II 955 and cheaper Motherboard. - 70~80 dollars, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back