My PC is making a loud noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newtype

Hi, when I bought my PC two years ago, it was silent, it barely made any noise. However, I later made a huge mistake. I opened the case to clean the inside of the computer with an air compressor, but while I was cleaning the fans I wasn't holding them so the air compressor made them spin faster than normal. Following that, every time I boot my PC now, it makes a loud noise and also the PC makes a lot of noise in general. A lot more than when I bought it, to a point where sleeping next to it when it is turned on is a hard thing to do. Now, I'm wondering if that mistake is the cause of the noise. When I look at the fans, they don't seem to be damaged at all. I have 3 fans: The case fan, the graphics card fan and the power supply fan. My PC is cleaned regularly so I know it's not dust or anything that's causing the problem.

Here's some interesting info: It only makes noise when it's booting after the computer has been turned off for more than 30 minutes. If it's less than that, it doesn't make the loud noise. I have no idea why. Also, about 3% of the time, the desktop doesn't get to fully load because the computer freezes. It's a problem that started at the same time the noise started. If it is indeed one or multiple fans that are broken, how can I know which one(s) is?

I made a video of when I'm booting the computer so you can hear and see what is happening.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yX2fkBh5zZE

Thanks for reading.

You didn't tell us the brand and model of the computer.
Using an air compressor is very bad, because you risk the damage of static electricity that is generated in amazing amounts. Next time, us canned air designed for use in cleaning computers.
Replace the CPU fan, us buy a new CPU cleaning kit, and any fans that blow air to the outside, and replace the power supply with one of decent quality. Clean the dust of fan blades and computer walls with a soft rag soaked in denatured alcohol. Get some nylon or plastic ties to hold the cables together and away from any fans. Tie down SATA and EIDE cables so they cannot block air or rattle. Make sure all air flow passages are free and allow full movement of cooling air. All these will likely return your computer to normal. You could also buy "silent" cooling fans for very little money which would reduce your noise even more..
Use canned air to get

Thanks for the reply. I'm gonna do that from now on. I don't think my PC has a brand or model. It was built by some guy who has a small company.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back