My Pictures folder keeps reappearing on desktop

By crimsonheis
Jul 11, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hello.

I have this annoying occurrence on my dekstop and I don't think it's a virus/malware though. Probably a windows glitch that I don't know how to fix. :/

Anyway, I have a "My Pictures.." (with the ..) folder on my desktop, I couldn't open it, it would say that It refers to a location that is unavailable. And when I do try to delete it, it says cannot read from source file or disk.

What's peculiar is that it creates another My Pictures folder that's empty, and I can freely delete it only to reappear on next boot up. I have recently transferred all my photos to an external HD so I don't have any use of this folder.

What I want is at least, even if i had a my pictures folder (since i guess its a windows thing), its just placed on my my docs folder, and that i get rid of the My Pictures.. folder that's totally useless.

Ran malwarebytes, avast, and other scans but it seems to be free from any threat. So definitely not a virus/malware.

Any help?
  2. learninmypc

learninmypc TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 5,168   +229

Have you tried removing it in safe mode?
  3. crimsonheis

crimsonheis Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 25

I was able to delete ito nce.
    It just came back as My Pictures

then back to My Pictures..
  4. crimsonheis

I went to safe mode and tried deleting it, no avail. I can only delete the My Picture folder it creates. but not the My Picture..
  5. Rabbit01

Rabbit01 TechSpot Booster Posts: 891   +39

Sometimes files or folders w/ really long name will show up as "Some long name...", w/ 3 periods. When you click on the icon, it remains the same "My Pictures.." w/ 2 periods?
  6. learninmypc

7. crimsonheis

OH IT WORKED! THANKS! hahaha
  8. learninmypc

9. crimsonheis

yep. It worked out nicely. i just uninstalled it right after.
  10. learninmypc

Glad to hear it worked. Have a great weekend.
  11. crimsonheis

ohhh...
    I deleted My Pictures, but after I restarted, it just reappeared.

Though I can delete it freely now, but it will just keep reappearing

12. crimsonheis

hahaha. i just changed some registry thingies to change the default location of the My Pictures folder. its where it should be now ^^
  13. Rabbit01

Rabbit01 TechSpot Booster Posts: 891   +39

Cool, I was going to suggest using something like TwekaUI and change the location of the folder.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.