My problem with unsaved workbooks in Excel

abbasi

Hello to all,

I have few problems or misunderstandings about the auto-saving/recovering workbooks in Excel 2010 that try to explain them clearly as follows:

First I create a New Microsoft Excel file And put some data into it and wait for more than 1 minute, because I changed the time of Save AutoRecover information every (from File / Options / Save / Save workbooks part) to one minute. After passing that time (more than one minute) I close that workbook without saving it, I.e, pressing don't save button. OK, now I open that file again, but, (my first oddness!):

1- The both UnsavedFiles folder (from path, File / Info / Manage Versions section / Recover Unsaved workbooks(button)) and Recover Unsaved Workbooks folder (from path, File / Recent, right hand pane) are Empty! Why?

After reopening that file I go to path File / Info / Versions. There is one writing/button next to the Manage Versionsbutton: "Today, 5:22 PM (when I closed without saving)". If I press that button I can restore the changes which I have made but haven't saved. I restore the lost data and save that file and close it.

For the second time I open that file and put other data into it! And (as, a bad boy does such things in his routine basis!) close the file again without saving it but of course after waiting more than one minute. This is second time, that is, I've saved somethings at least one time into that file before. OK. I open the file once again and go through File / options, but:

2- again, just like "1-", those two folders are still empty! Why? I just can restore that file again like previous time.
Those two folders seem always to be empty which is very strange.
I'm sorry if I gave you a headache!

pressing don't save button
WHY? If the work is good and not just an experiment, SAVE the data. Personally, I turn off auto-save and rely upon myself to know when to save my work or just abandon it with Dont Save.

The auto-save option is for when the app crashes. If you opt not to save then you are disregarding all auto-save information. If you want to test this manually crash the app and you will see the auto-save as an option the next time you start the app. Auto-save doesn't protect you against yourself, but it does help against app crashes when you don't exit properly.

Let me explain how this works.

When you open a file (I think all Office apps work this way) in Excel, it will open a temporary file (initially a duplicate) and auto-save will only alter the temp as you work. At any time you think your work is worth saving, you will need to manually save (which writes to the original file). If you close without saving, the temp file is deleted. If Excel crashes for some reason the temp file remains and is available for further editing upon restarting Excel.

WHY? If the work is good and not just an experiment, SAVE the data. Personally, I turn off auto-save and rely upon myself to know when to save my work or just abandon it with Dont Save.

Yeah, you are right. I did that because I'd want to be familiar with Autorecover completely.

Auto-save is a timing race; if the system crashes just after the last auto-save we always say WHEW!! Thank God. If it crashes just before - - we scream some vulgarities. SO - - That's why I make myself responsible for <ctl>S after I have completed a unit of work, made a consistent change, and know where to resume should a failure occur. It's all a matter of work habits :)

BTW; good for you leaning BEFORE a disaster strikes (y)

Auto-save is a timing race; if the system crashes just after the last auto-save we always say WHEW!! Thank God. If it crashes just before - - we scream some vulgarities. SO - - That's why I make myself responsible for <ctl>S after I have completed a unit of work, made a consistent change, and know where to resume should a failure occur. It's all a matter of work habits :)

BTW; good for you leaning BEFORE a disaster strikes (y)

Thank you mate.:)
but one question still has remained! When those two folders will be filled, that is, there will be something in them?

Last edited:
Auto-Save acts like a temporary file, does not modify the original, and lives only as long as the program keeps the document open. The temps (one or more) will all disappear when the document is closed.

Back